Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Bitter/sour taste on back of tongue  (Read 9566 times)

mrspinkrat

Bitter/sour taste on back of tongue
« on: November 28, 2013, 01:34:13 PM »

:(
In the last few days I have noticed an extremely bitter/sour taste on the back of my toungue.
Its awful - it feels like poison!
Eating takes it off slightly as does drinking water but pretty soon its back again.....
I wondered if anyone else has experienced this?
I am in early menopause (age 43) and not currently taking HRT or anything else except Levothyroxine 50mg for a recently discovered underactive thyroid.
Any advice please? I'm getting a bit panicky in case its not menopause related  :-\ :'(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Bitter/sour taste on back of tongue
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 02:18:59 PM »

Maybe the residue of a cold, or post nasal drip? When did you last see a Dentist?  How is your diet generally?  Some medications give a taste of zinc or other metals, maybe a phone call to the Pharmacy?

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 03:37:14 PM »

I got this when taking Amitryptiline. Horrid taste & dry mouth. Love pine nuts, but they give me bitter taste in my mouth if I eat too many. Have you started eating differently at all?

anna123

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 09:38:54 PM »

I got this when I  started taking Zopiclone on a short term basis. Whene I drank water it also tasted of it,it was bizarre. Maybe it's the medication you've been prescribed for your thyroid?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 04:20:03 PM »

When I took Tamoxifen I could smell and taste everything to extremes.  DH had baked a Dundee cake, which was in a tin with the lid on tightly, in a cupboard with the door shut.  Each time  I walked by the door I could taste it, even down to the 2 tablespoons of water  :o

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 08:52:46 PM »

A long shot - but have you been eating pine nuts? There is a syndrome known as "pine mouth" caused by pine nuts in some people. Apprently some types from China cause this.

It happened to me so I took them back to H&B for a refund! I thought there was something wrong with my teeth and had a horrible acrid taste in my mouth which wouldn't go away. I'm not usually one to fuss but it was so noticeable that I googled it and realised why - has recently bought some and was having them on my muesli every day!  it goes away a few days after stopping eating the nuts. Never had it since and always avoid them now.

If this is not the case for you but might be of some help to others who might have experienced something similar!

Hurdity x

Edit - sorry cubagirl I missed that you had already mentioned this!

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 11:21:34 PM »

You're ok Hurdity. It was horrid when I had it after pine nuts. I was ready for trip to dentist, thinking there was something amiss. Think it was Trey who suggested it to me. Stopped the pine nuts and a few days later was fine. I still have them occasionally with a salad though.

Dana

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 07:13:45 AM »

I got this when I  started taking Zopiclone on a short term basis. Whene I drank water it also tasted of it,it was bizarre. Maybe it's the medication you've been prescribed for your thyroid?

Oh yes, the same thing happened to me when I was briefly prescribed Zopi. It was so bad that I actually threw out a whole bottle of milk because I thought it had gone off...lol... Horrible stuff.

clio

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 08:59:47 PM »

I get a horrid taste in my mouth alot of the time, I get tonsil stones which can cause this sympton also eating alot of sugar.

mrspinkrat

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 09:47:12 PM »

I wish it was pine nuts......... At least then I'd know it would go away eventually  :-\
It's 3 weeks tomorrow and really getting me down  :'(
Are pine nuts hidden in anything???

Joyce

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 10:18:48 PM »

You'd have to check food labels. Had another thought, do you still have your tonsils? I know hubby & I ended up with a foul taste when our tonsils were infected. We both had them removed as adults.