Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: HRT  (Read 2842 times)

toffeecushion

HRT
« on: December 08, 2013, 08:29:24 PM »

Can someone please explain the pros and cons for HRT.  Do they cause more problems than they solve?

There is so much info about them that I don't know what to believe.

I am 47 years old and believe I am perimenopausal, would I benefit from them?

Taz2

Re: HRT
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 08:36:28 PM »

Hi Toffeecushion. This is a difficult question to answer and will depend on which symptoms you are hoping to alleviate with HRT. We have this thread running on it - there's around 50 pages of comments - so it may be useful to have a look through it http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,794.0.html

Taz x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 10:37:45 AM »

Hi toffeecushion - welcome  :welcomemm:
The general consensus is positive in favour of HRT but it is really a personal choice (or should be) and depends on your symptoms, age and other health issues.
The risks below the age of 60 are really very small and in fact there are many health benefits e.g. maintaining bone density, reducing heart disease, not to mention getting your life back after suffering awful hot flushes, sleepless nights etc. I believe, in time, it will be given as a preventative for many women, particularly as lower doses are the way forward as you get older.
There is a very good thread under 'All Things Menopause' (HRT good or bad) and it's well worth reading all the info under the headings along the left of this screen. There is a decision Tree to help you if need be. In the left hand list there is a heading 'News' and in that list is the latest 'BMS Council statement' which may very well be the answer you need.

Unfortunately many of us find GPs are very ill informed about HRT with many simply refusing to give HRT on the basis that it is dangerous - many are still believing the flawed study that was published around 8-10 year ago about the additional risk of breast cancer. There is some info about this somewhere on this site. If you are below 51 it is, in fact, important you have HRT as a preventative unless you have other health issues that prevent taking HRT.
We are all here to help so if you wish to share your symptoms and concerns - there are loads of ladies with very broad experiences here to support you.
Good luck.  DG

devonhil

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 11:13:37 AM »

Hello toffeecushion!

I'm also 47, perimenopausal and new to the forum.

I've been weighing up going on hrt too. I think I have decided to try it and am going to the doc next Saturday to chat about it. I would like to try oestrogel and utragestan. The oestrogel is oestrogen gel so you can experiment with the dose quite easily and the utragestan is a tablet form of progesterone. Also they are both bio-identical so give you hormones in the same form as you create them naturally (or very nearly).

I'm hoping they will control my hot flushes so that I can get some sleep and become less miserable and bitchy with everyone around me!

There is another member, ellie66, who is also about to start a similar hrt regime and is also 47! Maybe we should start a thread for this hrt journey? That way you can check out how we're getting on and decide whether you want to take the plunge too.

What symptoms do you have at the moment?

hil x

ellie66

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 01:26:10 PM »

Hil, Yes a thread about our journey is an excellent idea.  :) My period started early so I started my Osterogel today. Its lovely like posh moisturiser  :)

Ellie

devonhil

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 02:05:23 PM »

do you think it will reduce wrinkles!  ;D

I didn't know you had to start in time with a period. I haven't had one since beginning of October so wonder how I would time the start of hrt?

looking forward to hearing how you get on

take care

hil x

ellie66

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 02:29:02 PM »

I just decided to start it as my period started but you could start it anytime. Would be great if it reduced wrinkles  ;D