Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Menopause with NO hot flushes??  (Read 3839 times)

mrspinkrat

Menopause with NO hot flushes??
« on: December 07, 2013, 08:53:56 AM »

Is it possible?
My periods stopped abruptly in August. My FSH was high but Dr said to be retested in January to confirm.....
I feel like a fraud however as I have not had a single hot flush so is it possible that I am not in menopause? I am 43.
My only symptoms are what I think is BTS - burning tongue and some joint pain.
Has anyone else gone through the menopause without the classic hot flush sympton?
Thanks everyone :)

littleminnie

Re: Menopause with NO hot flushes??
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 09:48:38 AM »

My flushes did start till about a year after my last period. Enjoy wearing jumpers whilst you can. Lol

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 09:54:47 AM »

The first time my periods stopped for about six months I was completely symptom free and I thought that if this was meno what was the fuss about. Periods returned for about a year before stopping again. Then the flushes and sweats began. It was HRT for me
It's to early to say really and you may be one of the lucky ones.

Honeyb
X

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 10:03:25 AM »

Hello mrspinkrat.
I know of a woman who went through menopause and hardly noticed it, her periods stopped one day and she says she didn't have any flushes or any other problems, so it can happen. Needless to say I told her I was very jealous!
Enjoy feeling good while you can, you may be one of the lucky ones.
Take care.
K.

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 10:19:37 AM »

Strange as it may seem there are women who never have a hot flush - two friends of mine for starters - so it is possible to be in menopause and not have this particular, horrible symptom.

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 03:30:30 PM »

I had cold flushes for a while but my problem was itchy skin ALL OVER but mainly behind my shoulders and insteps - as I got into bed every night.  Not a flush in sight  ;)

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 08:05:53 PM »

Hi mrspinkrat

If you don't have flushes then you are lucky!

However if you are in menopause - you really should take HRT at least until the average age of menopause (51) to protect your bones and heart as 43 is young to be low and deficient in oestrogen, unless there is a medical reason why you are unable to take it.

Also are you on other medication? - some types of anti-depressants, and blood pressure medication are prescribed to reduce hot flushes for women who cannot take HRT, so if you are taking anything like this it could prevent your experiencing flushes and sweats.

You might just be one of the lucky ones!

Hurdity x

mrspinkrat

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 03:45:30 PM »

Thank you all for your comments  :)
Hurdity, the only meds I am taking is Levothyroxine for underactive thyroid - 50mg.
The reason for having a 2nd test of FSH in Jan is because I have only been on this since Oct time and the GP said that Levo can interfere with periods. Therefore, she didn't want to start any HRT until we were sure that I was in menopause  ???
I am growing increasingly concerned about a bitter taste on my tongue but will post a separate thread about that!!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 04:30:17 PM »

we have a thread about bad taste on the tongue here somewhere  ::)