Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Constant urination  (Read 11936 times)

Lynne888

Constant urination
« on: November 25, 2013, 03:34:12 PM »

Since having biopsy 3 months ago, my constant urination is back with a vengeance. I'm not sure if the procedure has antagonised something but over the months it has got increasingly difficult to calm my bladder. I've suffered with interstitial cystitis for about 12 years. I could control it with medication but when I hit menopause it got unbearable and I was going to the loo every 5 minutes at its worse. It was awful, I couldn't sleep or go anywhere and if I tried to walk the dog I would have to stop and wee! Vagifem was my lifeline. It stopped the constant urination and I was a different woman. Since the biopsy things have been dreadful. I tried the estring which made my urination worse and so went back to vagifem but whilst things improved, they were never great. I saw my GP last week and she suggested starting again with vagifem and doing 2 weeks of everyday use again. I've done this for 6 days and my weeing is now terrible. I'm so frightened I will not get any relief from it all. Anyone suffered similar issues? Could it be the biopsy that started this again? I've been doing the usual IC calming methods. They haven't worked :(

smudgesmum

Re: Constant urination
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 04:20:46 PM »

Oh I do sympathise with you, I thought I was bad going on average 18 times in 24 hours  :(

I suffer from Anxiety and Panic Attacks so put it down to that but apparently it can be any number of things in Women 'of a certain age'

Smudgesmum x

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 04:32:50 PM »

Hi Lynne - have you been given any medication for the IC? Were the biopsies taken from the bladder?

Is there any help here http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/interstitialcystitis/#treatments ?

Taz x

ariadne

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 05:21:11 PM »

Could the biopsy have caused an infection? Has the doctor tested a wee sample since the biopsy?

Ariadne xx

Lynne888

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 07:00:04 PM »

I take stuff for IC, its not calming it down at the moment. The biopsy was almost three months ago so I guess it's a bit late to cause an infection but I have some antibiotics so I've started taking them just in case. Yes it was a bladder biopsy. I had forgotten just how miserable constant urination can be. I have to know where the nearest toilet is before I can venture out.  They found a very tiny ovarian cyst which I was told was not an issue and wouldn't cause any problems but I have to go back in December to have a scan to check on it. I wonder if it had grown and is causing the problems?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 08:15:01 PM »

I doubt whether a cyst would grow that quickly to impact on the bladder.  I expect that the area has been aggravated and you have my sympthathy!  You could be referred to a Bladder Nurse but wonder if rather than Vagifem another product would be help?  I found that laying in a warm bath and relaxing, even if it meant doing a wee, helped a lot: or sitting on the loo but then my toes turned blue  ::)

I woudl ring the secretary to the Surgeon who did the procedure and ask what the next step is going to be , 'given than I am passing urine constantly and it is impeding my enjoyment of life' ............

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 08:16:50 PM »

What medication are you on at the moment Lynne? Did you have your bladder stretched at all? A close friend of mine who had IC found it made a tremendous difference to her symptoms.

Taz x

Lynne888

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 08:45:06 PM »

I haven't had my bladder stretched. I take oxybutynin but it isn't great. I am going to ask for vesicare, I found that better. I've learned from other IC sufferers that when a flare happens, it helps to take antihistamine and buscopan. Also the cystitis drinks help calm the bladder. Usually when I do this, I get some relief even if it's not much but it hasn't worked this time. For some reason, the vagifem DOES seem to be aggravating things, but I will see how it is in a couple of days. I'm hoping it will start to sooth. I will ring my GP on Wednesday if it's not. Improved. CLKD, I have been taking warm baths, but it's the frequency I find impossible to deal with :(

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 11:17:24 PM »

Hy Lynne888

Could you try an estriol based topical oestrogen instead of Vagifem ie orthogynest pessaries or one of the creams - you may find these gentler, if it doesn't get any better with the Vagifem?

Hurdity x

Suzi Q

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 11:46:07 PM »

I agree Trauma  was done and infections can be low grade for weeks and weeks then FLARE
See your GP I know its crapy but best get it sorted asap so you can have a lovely Christmas xx

Lynne888

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 07:18:54 AM »

I'm starting to think it might be an infection. The AB's have kicked in and I had a better night getting up twice to the loo. I also used two vagifem last night to try and get things under control but I know I was risking it as I wasn't sure whether the vagifem was making things worse. I really hope things are calmer today.  I am going to ask about creams and my GP has suggested trying oral HRT. I think I could need different medication moving forward. Yes, the thought of feeling like this with Christmas on the horizon is a nightmare. I need to get it all sorted.

daisie

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 10:14:47 AM »

hi lynne888,reading your post ,I hope you don't mind me stepping in ,taking amitriptyline,does help in these sort of circumstances,iv been on it for over 4 years now for anxiety ,once I go to bed I do not get up to go to the toilet,i read that they can give it children to prevent bed wetting, in severe cases its taken for different things,in different doses,just wondering if it could help you in any way,could be worth asking your doctor,if you google it will tell you what exactly it does,x daisie

Lynne888

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 12:16:27 PM »

Hi Daisie, not sure if it's the same (I think it is) but I take Atarax. I actually try not to take it very often. It knocks me out and I usually cannot wake easily in the morning. I prefer to take it at weekends if I need to so that I get a good night's sleep and it doesn't matter if I do not get up very early.  I have nights when I take it where I do not get up to go to the loo but most times I would still get up for at least one wee. I think I have IBS too and that definitely kick starts my IC. It's all a nightmare!!!

daisie

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 12:37:39 PM »

hi lynne/I don't know  ill have a look iv not heard that name for it before,i take it every night,but I too feel drowsy in the mornings,but it does wear off as the day goes on,i hope you get something to help you out x daisie

Milliemoo7

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 01:56:42 PM »

Can you ask your GP for some Kentara patches?  They are gentler on your system than pills for overactive bladder.  I have used them and they work very well indeed.

Pages: [1] 2 3