Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: How long should you be on HRT?  (Read 14936 times)

Julie1963

Re: How long should you be on HRT?
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2013, 12:07:51 PM »

Thank you everyone.  I have been suffering with flushes for the past five months and they appear to be getting worse. What would be the best HRT, tablets, patches? Thanks again.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2013, 02:45:02 PM »

I've mostly used Oestrogel as you can adjust the dosage of oestrogen more easily, starting with the lowest amount of one pump and increasing if you find you need more. Other women like patches.  Some women seem happy on pills but I think the general trend seems to be toward gel or patches. The progesterone bit is the tough one!   I've had a Mirena for the last 4 years (coming out soon as it is at end of it's life) but many like Utrogestan either orally or vaginally.  Look at info under HRT preparations in list to the left of this site. Most will advice you stick to bio-identical oestrogen & progesterone which is the gel/patch+utrogestan combo.
Other ladies may be along soon with their experiences & suggestions for HRT.

Good Luck  DG x

ducky ducky

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2013, 10:05:43 PM »

Hi, everyone, sorry not got back but been away for a few days, well finally got appointment for dr on 9 th November, went today for my bad back and mentioned that I wanted to talk to her about the menopause, that I was struggling and she said to make another appointment because there's a lot to talk about, so we'll see what she says, I'll let you know , Linda

Julie1963

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2013, 08:19:38 AM »

I have an appointment on Monday, my flushes have been horrendous this week.  I was going to fight going on HRT but after this week the doctor can give me anything she wants I just want a good nights sleep. :'(

honeybun

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2013, 12:30:01 PM »

I met a friend today who has had a great result with clonodine. She says she no longer has any flushes and has managed without HRT as that was her worse symptom. She is 58 and looking really good.

Honeyb
X

ducky ducky

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2013, 03:08:46 PM »

Hi
I'm abit in the dark here. What's clonodine is it hrt? I'm 58 and reading the comments on the forum it seems it's not a good idea to be on hrt when you get to 60. Does it have to be hrt to deal with flushes, mood swings etc, or are their other things, I'm wondering what the dr will advise when I go, she told me to make a long appointment as there is a lot to discuss, I ll probably be completely confused when I come out

Taz2

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2013, 03:41:52 PM »

Clonidine is a blood pressure medication which is prescribed to help with hot flushes. http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Menopause/Pages/Treatment.aspx  It is also marketed under the name of Dixarit.

Taz

Hurdity

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2013, 04:55:06 PM »

ducky ducky - I am 60 and still on HRT. It's better to read the literature re whether you can stay on it after 60. I posted about this yesterday on another thread and quoted all the studies. Look at the oinf on this site too (menu on left). The benefits equal the risks between 60 and 70 ccording to the info presented here.

I would stay away from anti-depressants or other meds if you are able to take HRT - it is oestrogen deficiency which causes the symptoms - initially sweats and flushes, but later potential vaginal and bladder problems, as well as osteoporosis, and cardio-vascular issues.

Re fibroids - if you look at health conditions in menu on left ( blue) this is what it says re fibroids:

Fibroids   
    Fibroids are benign smooth muscle tumours of the uterine (womb) wall and are dependant on estrogen. They tend to shrink after the menopause but shrinkage may not occur, or they may even increase in size with HRT use. Increase is thought to occur in 25% of HRT users and mainly occurs in the first six months of therapy. There is some evidence that transdermal (patch or gel) but not tablet HRT nor tibolone may promote fibroid growth. [ref 24] Fibroid size can be monitored by regular examinations and sometimes by ultrasound scans. There is some evidence that the use of the progestogen releasing intra-uterine system, Mirena may cause fibroids to reduce in size. Mirena is often used in the perimenopause by women who have heavy periods and/or require contraception and can provide the progestogen part of their HRT

Its best to start HRT before you are 60 or within 10 years of menopause.

The trick would be to find a progestogen that agrees with you so you would need to choose carefully if you are taking it all the time because some of the synthetic ones disagree with some women. How were you during menstrual cycle - did you suffer bad pms? If so I would go for bio-identical progesterone along with the oestrogen or possibly Femoston.

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2013, 04:57:20 PM »

ducky ducky
Here is the thread - discussing the same issue - my info re the literature is further down.
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,22963.0/topicseen.html
Hurdity x

andius

« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2013, 10:25:35 PM »

D:

If she told you there was alot to talk about, maybe that means she is going to give you all the pros and cons and let you choose!  Why would she waste the time to say NO!

Could be a positive thing.

Meeka

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2013, 08:59:40 AM »

My mum was on HRT until she was 70....she then had to stop on advice from Gyno.  The GP had let her stay on it until then.

She had some spotting at age 70 and a biopsy revealed a cancer cell.  She had a  hysterectomy and the Gyno said they did not find any more cancer during the op, not even one more cancer cell was found in her uterus.

He decided to take her uterus and ovaries so she went straight into meno symptoms.  She has severe osteoarthritis and this has become much worse since the hysterectomy, the oestrogen was giving her bones some protection.

She has also had recurring urine infections and soreness, she has now started on Vagifem and it is helping somewhat.   The gyno said he thought she should stop the HRT at 70....he thought it was quite old to be on HRT.   She would go back on HRT if they would prescribe it for her....she loved it.

ducky ducky

« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2013, 09:12:50 AM »

Hi
Thanks for all the info, crickey it's a lot to get your head around, let's hope I get on ok with Dr, I'll let you know . Thanks again Linda
Pages: 1 2 [3]