Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Stopping hrt after 21/2 years on.  (Read 21205 times)

Eddie

Stopping hrt after 21/2 years on.
« on: September 02, 2013, 01:46:44 PM »

Hello ladies, long time again.....

I have been having quite a rough time of it so i've decided to have a break from my hrt. Tomorrow will be my last day so i really dont know what i've let myself in for. Currently on Femoston 2/10.
My reasons initially for taking hrt were, my nerves were shot, much better now.
Had started getting flushes during the day, and lots of joint pain, the joint pain has never been helped. So here goes.  :-\
Eddie. x

honeybun

Re: Stopping hrt after 21/2 years on.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 01:51:24 PM »

I have stopped for a week now in the hope I don't need it any more. My anxiety is not helped much and the aches and pains have remained constant. I have been on HRT for four years now so time to see what will happen now.

Why have you decided to stop.

Honeyb
X

Eddie

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 02:00:21 PM »

I decided to stop because this vulvodynia is pretty intense, it runs inline with my cycle. So i want to see if it makes any difference. There are days where the pain is so bad i can't sit down. Also, i would like to see what happens with the rest of the symptoms. Like you my joint pain and morning stiffness is no different on hrt. I am hoping i have my anxiety under control by now.

What is your reason for stopping?

Eddie. x

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 02:04:47 PM »

The GP wants me off after five years so thought I would see what would happen.
I have also had terrible anxiety and I want to take St John's Wort which I can't on HRT. I did try ADs but they made me feel terrible.
To be honest I think I am probably clutching at straws just trying to ease the anxiety. I have tried HRT in different forms with no joy so time to try something different.

Sorry to hear you are in such pain. How do they treat it so you can get some relief.

Honeyb
X

Eddie

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 02:20:16 PM »

I too think i'm clutching at straws, i have tried anti depressants for migraines, (forgot about that one), beta blockers too? Nerve pain killers for vulvo, and these are serious drugs, so i don't want to take any of them especially if i can link hrt too them.

I take voltarol for joint pain. If at work i am very careful i can avoid getting stiff, but i need to watch my posture. I do a lot of stretching exercises, my hands are rubbish. thank goodness i don't type much, need to keep them warm. My Rheumatologist wanted me to stop the tabs she gave me and the joint pain is a little worse with that, but not too bad considering all the negatives about the tablets.

Once i stop hrt i will only be on Protium, lyrica, voltarol and motillium. So i read your other post about bloating? Possibly my big fat stomach (under my ribs) not belly will feel more comfortable? Could be good.
Eddie. x

Smokey

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 04:44:41 PM »

Hi,

Have you tried Nortriptyline for the nerve pain, I have it prescribed for mine as I have MS it works very well, it does t cause tiredness and no side effects I have been on it for nearly three years.

Hope this helps

Eddie

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 10:45:57 PM »

That's a thought smokey, I was on amytriptiline?? But couldn't keep awake, so doc at vulval clinic switched to lyrica because I had it years back. But come to think of it he did mention that one. Oh well back on Thursday, might just mention that.
Eddie. X

Delilah

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 12:40:52 PM »

Hi eddie

Just wondering, are you coming off gradually or going cold turkey?  i'm also on femoston 2/10 and although not thinking of coming off at the moment, i'm interested to know which is the best way to go about it when the time comes.

Hope all goes well for you.

Delilah x

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 12:43:25 PM »

I have tried both Delilah and they have both been as difficult as each other. It is thought that weaning yourself slowly though is the best way to do it. I cut down from a whole to half a patch and the hot sweats were back within a month. I stopped completely this time and the hot sweats were back within a couple of weeks.

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 12:49:15 PM »

I have just stopped and up to now apart from some night sweats I have not seen any difference in how I feel. I was getting night heat before but no sweats so that's a bit annoying.

I am less bloated and a bit less anxious so that's good. I have also lost about 2lbs in ten days. I am not over weight but the fact I am less bloated could be the reason.

Honeyb
X

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 07:27:29 PM »

Onwards and upwards Honeybun.

Day sweats have increased a bit today - every fifteen minutes since lunchtime. Work begins properly tomorrow so that will be interesting!!

Here's to a cool night for everyone!

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 09:04:02 PM »

Oh heck Taz.  I hope it starts to settle soon. Or will you head back to the HRT?

It's just so different for everyone.

Honeyb
X

Taz2

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 09:09:19 PM »

The first time I tried to come off it I lasted three months and last time around six weeks. I guess it could take around six months or, then again, I could stay like this forever!! As I said the plan was always that I would be retiring at around the time I would have to stop so life would be a bit easier but now I have to do another five years. It's work which gets to me the most - I just can't make good decisions and keep focused when in the middle of a sweat. Don't know what to do really. The odd thing is that this week I have become bloated again with a craving for chocolate and then savoury things plus slight period pain just as if I was in a real cycle but I can't see that I would have any of my own hormones still kicking around. Hmm.

Taz x

Eddie

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 09:16:50 PM »

I never thought about doing it gradually. Doc just said to stop it. I really don't fancy all these sweats, especially in a polyester tunic at work. Will just see what happens.
Eddie. X

honeybun

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 09:26:43 PM »

I would have found it difficult to cut down with the type of HRT that I was on. I am still using Vagifem to try and make sure everything remains healthy.

I wish I could fast forward a few months to see how I feel then and if I did not like it then I would just start my HRT again  ;D

Crystal ball anyone.

Honeyb
X
Pages: [1] 2 3