Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Healthy eating?  (Read 12206 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Healthy eating?
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 02:15:09 PM »

You are welcome.  Can't stand them  ::)

I think we deserve a treat occasionally.  Especially if we are generally eating well. 

Hurdity

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 07:44:41 PM »

Hi DebbieD

You are doing the right thing in eating a healthy diet as we go through this important change in our lives - well at any time really. That is the first most important thing you can do.

And yes lots of fruit and vegetables - obviously if you are allergic to some then avoid these but I eat tons of them. Our main evening meal usually contains half veg I would say and I have fruit as a snack whenever I'm hungry, Berries and juice for breakfast (with my muesli and yogurt) Low fat. Minimal cheese ( still have tastes though) less alcohol, plenty of calcium (yog and skimmed milk). Lots of pulses and beans, and wholemeal bread. Cooking everything from basics - ie very very few processed foods..... well apart from the occasional choccy! I agree we all need treats!!!!

Increasing fruit and veg gradually is better for the digestion - gets used to the increased fibre. I love dried fruits - those ready to eat ones but the figs and prunes have an interesting effect on my gut!!!!

Great that you've managed to lose weight!

Did you say you had increased your exercise - this is important too.

All of this will help make you feel better in yourself and perhaps better able to cope with symptoms. Also maybe slightly lower intensity flushes if you are not overweight. However menopausal symptoms are caused by oestrogen deficiency which lasts for ever - even after the traditional symptoms of flushes, sweats, anxiety etc -  may have lessened.

I have no recommendations about what to eat - I too chomped through phyto-oestrogen cake when I was peri - it was yummy and very healthy but didn't actually do anything to prevent my oestrogen decline!

Therefore I would recommend thinking about HRT.

This is what the British Menopause has just said amongst other things:

HRT prescribed before the age of 60 has a favourable benefit / risk profile.

We are here to help and there is a lot of info on the left menu.

Meanwhile keep up with the healthy eating and lots of fruit and veg - your body will thank you for it.

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2017, 09:30:52 PM »

From 5 then 7 now 10 portions of fruits and veg.  ::) - an article in the daily paper suggested that this will become prohibitively expensive for parents on low wages.  How about suggesting frozen and canned fruits and veg. which probably have more vitamens left  ::) as processing is so quick.  Canned foods can be bought in bulk or BOGOFs and store for years++ - no need to look at use-by dates 'cos canned foods don't go off. 

I struggle to eat 3 portions each day ........ as I have fads on for example bananas for weeks, then can't look one in the face  ::)

babyjane

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2017, 11:06:39 AM »

Healthy eating is about common sense.  I don't listen to 'them' too closely or it triggers my eating disorder and I start thinking I will get into trouble if I don't do everything 'they' say we should do  :(

babyjane

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2017, 12:50:38 PM »

hello sparkle my friend.  I was born as rationing finished and my mother was just glad to be able to buy a selection of food for us.  We have far too much choice nowadays and too much unnatural unhealthy stuff.

Can you imagine the flatulence that could be caused by 10 pieces of fruit and veg a day, blimey!!!!

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2017, 02:53:22 PM »

:rofl: ........ now we've found the bottom line  ;) I would be too bloated to eat 10 portions a day, I've had 2 slices of orange this afternoon as pudding - fruit is soooo chewy and takes effort  :D

I started the day with a muesli mix and black T, 2 sugars
Half a mug of hot chocolate mid morning with a small slice of Bakewell
A small piece of beef whilst waiting for my piazza to heat in the oven, a small spoonful of cold sweetcorn and the 2 pieces of orange.  Stuffed now!

babyjane

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2017, 05:13:27 PM »

come to think of it I had prunes with my porridge, a banana mid morning, carrots and broccoli with my lunch and a pear for pudding so that's 5 pieces without thinking about it  :)

Cassie

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2017, 06:09:31 PM »

Cut back on sugar and carbs, drinking more water as opposed to fruit juice and try to avoid eating canned foods or processed cereals etc, not easy.

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2017, 09:16:43 PM »

Nowt wrong with modern canned foods occasionally.  It's the best way of preserving fruits and veg. other than fast freezing and a good way of getting plenty of mix in the diet.

I had a pizza for lunch and 2 rounds of toast with marmalade - does the latter count as fruit  ;D

bramble

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2017, 09:56:57 PM »

I eat quite a lot of fruit - most days over 5 portions - and it has no adverse effects on my innards!

Bramble

Hurdity

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2017, 10:58:33 PM »

Too many carbs and sugar CLKD - do you get strange light-headed feelings - I expect your blood sugar is all over the place?! You could try smoothies (not too many though because of high fruit sugars) or pureed veg based soups if you don't like chewing things!

I probably eat around 8-10 I should think and does anyone still eat canned fruit these days? (well I confess the occasional tin of ruby grapefruit if I've run out of the fresh stuff - nothing like grapefruit before breakfast!).

Two portions of fruit + juice for breakfast, thick vegetable based soup for lunch + some salady stuff + a piece of fruit, at least one piece of fruit as snack, and at least 2 portions of veg + fruit for evening meal....I don't think I flatulate any more than the next person and my jeans are done up as I write ::)

Hurdity x

Taz2

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2017, 11:26:04 PM »

I'd be stuck to the loo all day if I ate all of that fruit and veg  :o

Taz x

babyjane

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2017, 11:00:51 AM »

we all have different systems and we just have to find what suits us as individuals.  How fortunate we are to have such a plethora of choice and variety in this generation to be able to do that.  All things in moderation is my mantra and I adore toast and marmalade  :)

Cassie

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2017, 11:37:28 AM »

Canned foods generally have sugar added to them, thats the problem.

CLKD

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2017, 12:50:22 PM »

Crikey Hurdity - I know my own body and NO I rarely get the feeling of being light headed now that I eat every 3 hours.  Many people buy and eat canned fruits, obviously you didn't watch Greg Wallace recently  :-\ although Campbells Soups no longer exist  :sigh: other UK canning factories are hard at it 24/7!  One looks on the shelves of all grocery shops and one will see how much tinned foods are available.  Handy for camping trips if nowt else!

Cassie - canned foods have less sugars than when I was growing up in the 1950s  ;)

This morning I have had my usual bowl of muesli-like stuff, we stopped off for a cuppa with which I had a slice of toast and jam.  Haven't decided what lunch will be, however, evening meal ....... [see what are we cooking tonight ]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4