Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: excessive vaginal discharge  (Read 160815 times)

rosekay

excessive vaginal discharge
« on: November 22, 2012, 01:30:57 PM »

Hi everyone, I'm so hoping someone can relate to this!
I am 51, periods irregular so I know the Big M is upon me!  Everyone says a big symptom is vaginal dryness but I have just the opposite problem and it's really unpleasant. About a week after the end of a period I get lots of shiny, clear discharge- no smell, no irritation. Just wet!  I even had to use tampons on holiday in July to make the days more comfortable (and that helped, so I know its vaginal and not bladder related).  Haven't had a period since end Sep, but am suffering this week with more wetness, and a low dragging pain like a period pain.   I have been to the doctors about it, but of course it didn't happen at the time.  She said to go back if it recurred, but I've been there for other, unrelated things 2 or 3 times over the past couple of weeks and I can't go back again yet!
I'm thinking it may be due to crazy hormones.  I had a smear test (routine) about 3 weeks ago but not had results yet. I don't think that has anything to do with the problem though.  It just seems odd that only dryness is mentioned as a problem.  Or am I just weird!?  Love to hear from anyone with ideas!   :)

catweazle

Re: excessive vaginal discharge
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 02:44:51 PM »

Hi Rosekay
Welcome to the forum!  :welcomemm:
I am post meno (19 months) and your post has reminded me of what used to happen with me during peri. I'd forgotten all about the weird wetness that I used to get from time to time. Clear, odourless, watery. No irritation. I can't recall having any pain with it. I used to use large panty liners for a few days till it went away. I've no idea why it happened and haven't been troubled by it since becoming post meno. I seem to remember someone else saying they'd had this too.
Meno sure throws up some strange symptoms!

Catweazle  x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 03:12:57 PM »

Hormones  >:(

When you had your smear exam did the Nurse make any comment?

Bette

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 04:38:24 PM »

Hi rosekay
 :welcomemm:
I started getting the clear, watery discharge during peri towards the end of periods. I'd feel like I'd wet my pants and then find that the tampon was soaked through and had leaked.  :o I'm now on HRT but still get the watery stuff at the end of bleeds. I've actually dried up otherwise, so have very little discharge for the rest of the month which is the opposite of how things were before.
The pain might be due to your body trying to have a period but the womb lining being too thin for there to be anything to shed. Other ladies have reported getting all the symptoms of a period but without any actual bleeding.
Bette x

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 05:46:23 PM »

Hi rosekay - welcome from me too.

You will probably find that the dryness comes at a later date and if it is only September since your last period then you are probably only in very early meno. I found between the ages of 51 and 53 were brilliant years for me lubrication-wise. I think it is the body's last ditch attempt to try to further the species!

Quite often vaginal dryness doesn't become a problem until the periods have been absent for quite some time. You need to not have had a period for a year before you are called post meno and symptoms can worsen for up to two years after the last period. Some women go almost a whole year without a period before they restart and then you have to count all over again - most frustrating!  I also think that the term "dryness" is a bit of a misnomer as I never became that dry but sex did become very painful before I started first on Vagifem and then on full HRT.  Have you got any other meno symptoms?

I would say that although you see the wetness as a nuisance try to enjoy it while you can. I am not sure about using a tampon though to dry it up - I think this can cause problems. Tampons are only really meant for bleeding. Not sure what others think?

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 07:55:23 PM »

I wouldn't think a tampon is a great idea. A panty liner would do the job.

I remember being like this too so it would appear its not unusual.

Honeyb
x

Bette

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 08:53:35 PM »

I only mentioned tampons because this has happened to me towards the end of my period; I wouldn't use them just for clear discharge.
Bette x

flushtered

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 09:22:54 PM »

I've been getting this lately too and thought it was like when ovulating in middle of cycle, but realised I couldn't be ovulating for over a week at a time.  I keep thinking a period has started when I feel damp and it's just this, saying that sex has been easier while like this  ;) but I keep getting a stabbing pain in right ovary too  ???

carol44

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 01:05:18 AM »

Me too i have had this for some time , usually inbetween periods at ovulation time, and stringy at times too, i too have to wear panty liners....

Meg

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 01:50:18 AM »

Rings a bell with me too.  Had a lot of this from mid thirties till when I stopped periods at fifty.  Clear, stretchy discharge.  Used to be quite marked and I think more than you would normally expect at ovualtion.  No idea really what caused it.  Had difficulties becoming pregnant till I managed it at thirty-five, dont know if it was related but at least others experience this.

Meg

Suzi Q

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 02:09:26 AM »

I was always like that even at 11 when my periods started and well before panty liner
I used to get toilet paper soft had just come out and id roll them over and make a pad for my knickers
As for the end to be honest I cant remember but I do know i used to take 2/3 panty liners to work maybe that was why? xxx

Bette

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 09:02:57 AM »

Mine is very watery; the "stretchy" stuff seems to be a thing of the past which I assumed was a sign that I'm getting further into meno.  ??? Most of the time it's just "chalky."
Bette x

catweazle

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 09:10:30 AM »

The clear stretchy stuff is ovulation mucus. The weird pre meno stuff is very runny.

Catweazle x

Katy

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, 09:25:12 AM »

Mine is very watery; the "stretchy" stuff seems to be a thing of the past which I assumed was a sign that I'm getting further into meno.   Most of the time it's just "chalky."

I can relate to that Bette but once the atrophy started it was non existant.  Since using vagifem it comes and goes.

Katy x

rosekay

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2012, 12:41:01 PM »

Thanks so much for your replies, ladies!  so nice to know I'm not the only one this happens to.  The nurse and doctor I've seen lately about other things in that area both said all looks fine, and that I definitely "wasn't dry" down there!
It is a very watery discharge, and I too keep thinking my period has started, like Nifty Fifty - but no.  I only used the tampons for a couple of days because I was on holiday (30th anniversary) and I kept getting actual little gushes of liquid, which as you can imagine was really spoiling the week.  And doing that did show that it was a vaginal problem and not bladder.
I've had periods every 3 weeks for some time, instead of the 4 -5 it used to be. Scantier though. And over the last year and a half or so I've sometimes missed a month or two altogether.  Bette, your comment about the body trying to have a period makes a lot of sense, it's exactly how it feels. Wish it would give up!  Why do we not have a nice handy "off" switch?!
I saw the doctor because I'd started getting a weird pain down there - suddenly a feeling like a painful graze on the inner lips, no relation to anything.  Just happens suddenly  all by itself, makes me draw in my breath. Nothing to see.  She said she didn't want to give me hormone cream (?) yet.
Oh!  If you'll bear with me another minute, does anyone get this? It can't be meno related, been going on anbout 20 years on and off. A sudden absolutely agonizing sharp pain around the top of the vulva, low pubic area. It seems to be in the fatty tissue, not internal. Just like a knife going in and twisting. That stops me in my tracks. Because it's so intermittant I'd never bothered mentioning it till the smear nurse told me to.  But again, all look :thankyou:s well and the doctor can't find any reason apart from maybe a sudden flare up of nerve endings. Can't tell you how painful it is.  Oh well! Enough moaning!
Many thanks for the welcome and help - I'm so glad to have found this site!
Pages: [1] 2 3