Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

shop
About | Leaflets | Magazine | Books | Multimedia | Questionnaires | Links | Contact | Shop | Twitter | Facebook | Blog

Author Topic: What is normal ca -125 blood test  (Read 2975 times)

warwick01

What is normal ca -125 blood test
« on: May 04, 2012, 12:08:14 PM »

Hi Ladies

You may recall in January I was seen in the Gyne clinic where they found a cyst 5.5 had ca - 125 blood test and result was 5 The Registra told me the blood test was very low but they would monitor the cyst to see if it got any larger.

Today I returned and cyst was now 3.5 which obviously is good news. However a differant Reg said she was worried it may be malignant because my ca-125 was now 5.......panic, panic.

I told her the previous Reg had said 5 was extreamly low so why should 8 indicate a high reading. The Consultant was no in clinic today but to be honest I think she was talking c..p and again this is another case of Doctors not having a clue.

If anyone knows what the normal range should be please let me know. I remember someone telling me 25 was the norm.

Many thanks

hot&spicy

Re: What is normal ca -125 blood test
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 12:16:11 PM »

Sorry Warwick I have no idea. Hopefully someone who does know will be along soon. I totally understand your panic - I guess I would be reacting the same - actually I would probably be more hysterical. Hopefully you will get more sense out the consultant. Thank goodness they are keeping an eye on things tho. Hugs. Xxx

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 12:33:50 PM »

Is this helpful - it seems to say that a level of 12 may give rise for concern. http://ovacome.healthunlocked.com/questions/138115/CA-125-blood-test   There are lots of reasons for a slightly raised level according to the Cancer Research website.

Taz x
I joined up all the right dots.. but in the wrong order.. and still ended up with a picture. Oxygen Thief

ruth

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 01:45:44 PM »

I believe that although values vary in different labs your ca125 is considered a problem if its over 35/40. I also had cysts picked up last year - largest one 4.5cms - so I had the  ca125 test and I believe my level was ten, which they said was good news. And I had another scan 3 months later and the cysts had vanished, which the docs and nurses all said was what usually happens, they just sort of ebb and flow. However obviously I can't give you medical advice - I realise you are probably sick and tired of going to the doctors but why don't you see your GP to have your mind put at rest. They ought to know what it means. And what did this registrar who is obviously rather lacking in bedside manner say should happen next? If s/hes concerned then clearly s/he needs to investigate further, but personally I agree with your verdict that s/he's talking a load of old pants.

Annika

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 03:10:39 PM »

So sorry that you have to worry over this but from what I remember (had my test last year) its not a very predictable test but the only one we have at the moment. The doctor mentioned at the time that the even fibroids can throw the whole thing off. Can you call the clinic and ask?? it might help put your mind at rest (make a fuss if you have too ::)

warwick01

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 03:39:23 PM »

Thanks for all your replies.

Taz - the link was interesting and indicates the higher levels are more concerning.

If my level was 5 in Jan and the Reg said it was very low today it's gone up to 8 and today the Reg said it could indicate a malignant cyst....... :(

If I am correct in thinking this doctor is talking rubbish I will be taking this further, because I am sooo fed up with senior doctors (Reg) not having a clue!

The Consultant is back on Tuesday and she said she would speak to him and ring me if he is concerned. Mmm I may be ringing him myself next week.

I will keep you updated.

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 03:42:15 PM »

I suppose he is being cautious as the level has increased since January? It still seems low to me but they can't afford to take chances with ovarian changes. There is info on the cancer research website about the other causes of a raised level. Endometriosis and fibroids will both change the result.

Taz x
I joined up all the right dots.. but in the wrong order.. and still ended up with a picture. Oxygen Thief

Sleepless D

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 09:29:55 PM »

Hi,

I had this test last June. I had a cyst that was 14cm!

My results came back at 60. Anything under 30 is considerered ok. Any thing over I think it was 120 to 200 is malignant.

Mine was not malignant. My C said inflammation caused by cysts can cause a higher reading.

Your readings seem very very low. Not sure why the R is worried. Hope this helps.

Sleepless D x

warwick01

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 01:07:49 PM »

Hi Sleepless

Sounds like you have had a stressful time with such a large cyst...... hope all is o.k now.

To be honest I am so angry. If there is any other way the CA 125 is calculated I am sure the reading of 8 is very low.

I intend to ring the Consultants Sec on Tuesday and ask if the Consultant can ring me. If this is a case of lack of knowledge I will be complaining as Doctors with such a lack of knowledge should be supervised in clinic.

Could you imagine how I felt being told my blood result indicates a 'malignant tumour'  >:(

I will update you on Tuesday

W

leony

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 07:27:22 PM »

When i had 1 done was told anything over 35/40 was of concern so try not to get stressed perhaps hes just being cautious. I think they say these things just to freak us out at times stupid doctors.

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 07:37:54 PM »

I have carried out a bit more internet researching on the various cancer forums and the main thing seems to be if your CA125 result rises then this can cause concern. The fact that it was 5 and is now 8 is probably what has flagged you up as needing a bit more investigation. It is still low but it is changing so they are just being cautious.

Taz x  :hug:

Sleepless D

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 07:58:34 PM »

Hi,

I am fine now. Had to have a total hys but cyst huge.

I can totally understand why you are cross. Sounds like the R has just dropped in that they are concerned without really explaining what they mean. Like I said cysts that a benign will cause a reading due to inflammation.

No matter how you chop it up 8 is very very low.

It makes me really angry when the med prof just leave you worrying without talking to you properly.

I feel pretty sure you do not need to worry. Sorry you have to wait till Tues.

Sleepless D x