Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

shop
About | Leaflets | Magazine | Books | Multimedia | Questionnaires | Links | Contact | Shop | Twitter | Facebook | Blog

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How long does it take for HRT to work?  (Read 17398 times)

mand3966

How long does it take for HRT to work?
« on: February 15, 2012, 09:05:42 AM »

I know I'm probably being very inpatient, but can anyone roughly tell me how long it normally takes for HRT to kick in?

I started on my 3rd HRT attempt (Evorel conti patches) last Thursday, and to date I've had no let-up at all on my hot flushes, night sweats and other syptoms.  (do have a side effect though, of my foot and hand tingling, if that is a side effect!)

I know I'm probaly asking too make, and should give it time, but after reading on here some womens experiences of flushes and night sweats starting to improve within 24hrs, I'm really pee'd off that I still have no improvement after almost a week....

(I have been prescribed to take a 3rd of a patch to start with, by the nurse at the menopause clinic, as on tablets I had such severe side effects, she wanted to try me on a lower dose and see how I go, she did say I can up the dose if I want, but to see how I go on the 3rd of a patch for 1 to 2 months.....

I suppose I just want to be reassured that things will kick in, and kick in the sooner the better!

Many thanks,
Yours inpatiently!
Mand
x

Bette

Re: How long does it take for HRT to work?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 09:16:29 AM »

To be quite honest, Mand, I think it's highly likely that you'll find that a 3rd of a patch isn't enough to give you much symptom relief. As long as you don't get any side effects, maybe you should consider trying a bit more sooner than 2 months.
Bette x
If you want a thing done well, get a couple of old broads to do it. Bette Davis.

Bette

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 09:38:37 AM »

As Mand is on conti patches, Susan, it does make sense to cut those up as the lower dose patches you mention are estrogen - only.  ;)
Bette x
If you want a thing done well, get a couple of old broads to do it. Bette Davis.

mand3966

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 10:20:47 AM »

Thanks Bette and Susan for your prompt replies.

Susan, the patches are 50 mcgs each, so as you say cutting them down to a third is about 17 mcgs.

The nurse at the menopause clinic did say she wanted to start me on that dose, as I experienced such terrible side effect on Ellesse Duet 1mg, and she said, half a patch of Evorel conti is equal to one Ellesse duet tablet, so didn't even want to start me off on half a patch as it was exactly the same as the tablet I was taking!

She has supplied me with her email address and phone number, so I may just contact her and explain my concerns.

She has said to 'play around' with the dose as I see fit, but to try out a third for at least a month! A month seems a long time to me, if I'm not getting any beneifit from it at all!!!

I'm already considering trying out half a patch tomorrow, when I am due to put the 3rd one on!

Mand
x

mand3966

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 10:51:13 AM »

Its just that I'm not certain if I have given it long enough or not to start working? (It will be a week tomorrow)....

I'm not expecting all the syptoms to have gone, but to at least have some reduction in the hot flushes and night sweats.... (I am still having hot flushes every 30mins or so, and waking up 3-4 times a night, with a hot flush!

Mand
xxx

mand3966

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 12:37:11 PM »

Thanks Susan,

Yep, decided to put the remaining 3rd of my first patch on tomorrow, and if no inprovement by Sunday, (when the next patch is due) will up it to half a patch!!!! (Lets live dangerously!)

Will keep you posted.

Many thanks for all your advice

Mandxxx

littleminnie

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 01:14:24 PM »

If you havent had any side effects by now on 1/3 of a patch, I would have thought you would be ok to go to half a patch.
I am on everol conti patches and my hot flushes & night sweats went after a week.

Js

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 07:12:12 PM »

Hi Ladies

i am on evorel conti now but was on sequi for 18months  and found that after 24 hrs my ht flushes went but was putting all the patch on i did ask my doctor  about   cutting the patch  because of headaches but she didnt advise it so im surprised that one of the ladies is using a 3rd of a patch  but must go by what the meno nurse advised but keep a diary note of what happens then you can let the nurse know and see what can be altered if necessary anyway must give it at least 3month to settle down i prefer patches as dont get on with tablets and should be less side effects. dont give up too soon

good luck

js

mand3966

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 08:43:40 AM »

Thanks everyone for your comments.....

As I said previously, I'm going to stick the remaining 3rd of my first patch on today.... and then on Sunday (when my next one is due) go up to half a patch, as by then I would have given it almost two weeks to kick in.

Trouble is, even though my hot flushes, night sweats etc etc haven't altered one bit, (woke up 5 times last night in a sweat!) I have noticed a couple of side effects!  My left foot seems to keep going numb! and also my left hand tingles! I have seen on here that tingling sensations are quite common, so not so worried about that.... the side effect that I am getting worried about is my lightheadness and dizzyness again.....I've been trying to ignore it, but it seems to be increasing, nowhere near as bad as it was when I was on the tablets, but definately noticable!

Going to keep an eye on it, and see how I go....

Thanks again,
Mand
xxx

bramble

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 12:01:24 PM »

My doctors advice when I complained about dizzyness was - don't move quickly! A lot of help. Found my dizzyness only went when I changed to conti HRT but you are not of an age for that?
Bramble

mand3966

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 01:36:54 PM »

Hi Bramble,

Thanks for your reply!

I am indeed of an age for that! (don't feel like it at 45), but am post menopausal as no period for 2 years and 1 month, so the HRT I am currently on is conti HRT!

'Don't move quickly'...... you have to laugh don't you!  I have a full time job and a very active social life, so I'm always moving quickly!, and don't want to slow down too much just yet!

Mand
x

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 08:18:42 AM »

Hi Mand - I am also of the opinion that a third of a patch, especially now I see that you are only 45, is nowhere near enough to control your symptoms but I can understand your reluctance to be on a higher dose if you had a bad reaction to another HRT. What reaction did you have if you don't mind me asking - sorry if you have already said and I haven't found it!

Taz x
I joined up all the right dots.. but in the wrong order.. and still ended up with a picture. Oxygen Thief

mand3966

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 09:04:39 AM »

Hi Taz2,

The menopause nurse at the clinic said to start with a third of a patch due to the terrible side effects I had with tablets (both Ellesse Duet and Climesse), and told me not to even use half a patch at first as that was the same as taking one tablet, and she wanted me to try using less amount of hormones that a tablet if that makes sense.

Reaction/side effects I have mentioned on here before a few times, but involved terrible lightheadedness and dizziness, to the point of being at home and having to hold onto furniture to move from one place to another, feeling like I was going to faint all the time, actually getting out of bed one morning (after laying in bed for 10 mins to make sure I was well and truely awake), and being so out of balance, falling into the bedroom door and bruising all my arm.
Then being in a supermarket and feeling so dizzy and faint, had to leave my trolley in the aisle and rush outside and sit on the pavement with everyone looking at me, with my head between my knees!!!! Very embarassing!
I ended up being signed off work for a fortnight as  told by my GP I was a danger to myself cycling to work and back, and also it was probably best if I didn't even drive!  I could hardly stand up straight, let alone cycle or drive!   I took HRT for almost 9 weeks, and side effects just seemed to get worst. Went to GP and was told to come off of them immediately, and it took another 8 weeks or so, just to get them out of my system and feel well again!
So..... as you can see, that is why I am so reluctant to be on a higher dose, as I already on a third of a patch feel slightly lightheaded and dizzy, nowhere near as bad as before, but the side effects are there!

Mand
x
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 09:06:49 AM by mand3966 »

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 09:15:38 AM »

That sounds really frightening with symptoms similar to inner ear problems especially the advice not to "move quickly" as this will cause dizziness if you are suffering from such a virus. I can see why you are reluctant to try a higher dose. Did you get these sort of feelings when you were producing your own hormones?

Taz x
I joined up all the right dots.. but in the wrong order.. and still ended up with a picture. Oxygen Thief

mand3966

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 09:34:43 AM »

Hi Taz2,

Nop, only got the dizzyness and lightheadedness whilst taking HRT, as soon as I stopped, and gave it a few weeks to get out of my system, I went back to normal, and no dizzyness or lightheadedness at all, so know its down to the HRT and not an ear problem....

Mand
x
Pages: [1] 2