Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Stomach cramps with Vagifem  (Read 16348 times)

Dancinggirl

Stomach cramps with Vagifem
« on: October 03, 2013, 07:21:48 AM »

Started Vagifem 3 days ago and i have quite nasty pain - like period pain - the pain made me vomit this morning.  I'm having my Merina taken out soon and so have to gradually reduce and come off my oestrogel.
In the leaflet it says that stomach pain is quite common but should i persevere? Anyone else had bad pain?  Will it subside ?

honeybun

Re: Stomach cramps with Vagifem
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 09:31:40 AM »

I really don't think it should give you pain so bad it makes you sick. Could you have picked up a bug.
You may get a little cramping and sore breasts in the initial stages but that's normally it.
I would speak to my GP if I were you to get some advice.

Honeyb
X

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 10:01:10 AM »

I have been getting some pain - a bit like period pain - on and off for some time now.  Yes, I've been getting some bowel issues ( I think I get irritable bowel, particularly through stressful times).  I am wondering if something has prolapsed or I thought it may be time to have my Mirena out.  I can still feel the strings so it hasn't dislodged.
I am reducing my oestrogel to have my Mirena out in 3 weeks and the horrible burning of my urethra is getting steadily worse.  I was prescribed Vagifem to help with this and to keep things supple when I have the Mirena removed.
Practise nurse is calling me later to discuss. :-\

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 03:04:15 PM »

Did she call you yet?  Maybe change from Vagifem to another preparation?  Let us know. Period pains are awful  >:(

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 04:09:01 PM »

Nurse hasn't called - may not have had time!
Pain has subsided quite a bit and I've been able to eat ok.
I'm going to do another dose tonight a see if I still get pain in the morning.
I'm hoping it's just me and not a reaction to the Vagifem.
I wish I had heard from someone who had similar problems :-\
I really want this localised HRT to work as I need something to be comfortable while I come off the Oestrogel  ??? It'll be bad enough coping with flushes, lack of sleep etc.
DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 04:15:23 PM »

Sorry to hear you are feeling unwell

I agree with honeybun - the vagifem is extremely unlikely to have any effect like this - especially as you are taking HRT and your body is used to oestrogen, unless you are one of the very unlucky few who are allergic to the fillers - but this wouldn't cause period pain anyway.

Unfortunately all the warnings on this product are the same as for full HRT and are enough to put anyone off. I got an awful fright when I first started Orthogyenst pessaries when I was still peri- for the same reason - but once you realise it is just the standard risks they are repeating ( from the big study that scared women off HRT) then you just stop worrying.

It is easy to think the slightest ache or pian must be due to something different you are taking - but this isn't necessarily the case!!

Hope you feel better soon and don't worry!!

Hurdity x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 05:34:13 PM »

Thanks Hurdity
I have been getting these pains on and off for some time now - this morning was worse than before so that's what made me wonder. I haven't had an internal examination for four and half years - since I had the Mirena put in - so I think this is overdue - I'm a bit worried that something else is going on. I've had blood tests recently - all fine. Going to have the Mirena out soon so maybe things will settle done.
Thanks again for the info and reassurance.
DG x

blonde moments

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 06:02:47 PM »

Hi sorry to hear you not well, I started with vagifem 8 days ago. I can only say that for me it has worked wonders I actually feel a little bit like myself again the burning has eased and I actually feel like sex again:-) I must admit my bowel movement has improved as I suffer from Irritable bowel not sure if it has anything to do with vagifem!! I hope it does work for you but have a word definitely with your GP.

I would also like to say thank you to everyone on this site it is a life saver :-)  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 08:21:58 PM »

Could it be that the Mirena has come to the 'end of it's useful life'? so you are getting period like pains due to a drop in the hormone it leaches out?  I would give your GP a ring for advice.

The uptake from the vagina is un-likely to affect the ovaries/womb area.  It is a topical preparation?

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 10:11:10 PM »

I was wondering the same as CLKD actually.

Mirena is licensed for use as HRT for 4 years only - it could be that your progestogen levels have fallen. If that were the case then you would get a bleed, and that's why you could be experiencing period pains. This would mean also that the Mirena is no longer protecting your womb - although you say you are also reducing the oestrogen as well.

Hurdity x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 05:39:15 PM »

Cramps are better today - thank goodness!
Just as well I'm having my Mirena out.  I suspect you are right and the Mirena is the problem.
Dreading the break from HRT but think it is the best way to go - maybe things will settle down better this time and, if not, I may try some really low dose HRT.
I'll keep everyone posted.
Thanks to you all for your support - had a bad day yesterday and MM weaved it's magic.

makozi

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2013, 06:51:10 PM »

I have been using vagifem for 2 and half weeks now and must say during the first week I had a headache and period pains in my lower back.

I decided to persevere and by the second week the pains and headache settled down. I am now on the twice a week dose and all is well....... So far

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2013, 07:44:20 PM »

:welcomemm:  Makozi - Dancinggirl: let us know how you get on!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 08:07:30 AM »

Day 7 with vagifem and no more cramps. Have woken with headache a few times but I'm prone to getting headaches anyway and think they were about tension in neck and shoulders.
My urethra is burning like crazy!! :-\ Reduced my oestrogel down to about three quarters of one pump. Mirena comes out in just over 2 weeks. No bad hot flushes yet - I expect I have quite a bit of oestrogen still stored in my body. I feel tense and snappy - my poor husband is very patient.
I'm hoping the Vagifem will eventually help with vaginal/vulva/urethra issues.  Researching my options re: future HRT.  I think I would like to continue with some form of HRT.
Have started a post asking about the different Femoston HRTs out there - please respond if you have any info.
DG x