Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: Utrogestan  (Read 112055 times)

Rivadan

Utrogestan
« on: November 01, 2011, 11:18:35 AM »

I thought it might be good to start a new thread for those of us currently trying or about to try Utrogestan to supplement separate oestro due to problems with progesterone.

I know we've had earlier discussions in several threads about how much to take and how often but these can get buried over time.

I'm going to try it in December having had a couple of months blissfully taking 1mg oestrogen only. Would be very interested to find out how others have found it.

Night_Owl

Re: Utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 11:35:59 AM »

Hi Rivadan

I've used Utro the following ways:

(1) Utro 200mg x 12 per month - oral
(2) Utro 200mg x 10 per month - oral
(3) Utro 200mg x 12 per month - vag
(4) Utro 100mg alternate nights - vag

Will you be using it (1)?

It's supposed to be one of the lesser androgenic progesterones.

Rivadan

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 02:40:24 PM »

I'll probably start with (1) but would prefer (2) - as little as I can get away with to create a bleed!

Which regime did you prefer?

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 06:07:48 PM »

I'm starting this on Friday. Evorel 50 plus Utrogestan 200 for 12 days each cycle. I have put it off for a few months but have now run out of my old HRT so I have to take the plunge

Taz x

Bette

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 06:46:48 PM »

You're not tempted to try it as a conti regime to see if you can manage without bleeds now, Taz?
Bette x

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 07:00:03 PM »

I have been on Evorel Conti and Femseven Conti plus kliovance and all of them gave me constant bleeding. I am being swapped to utrogestan as the meno clinic doc has researched it thoroughly and this is the best progesterone for me to use taking into account my family history of DVT's. I have never had a DVT (touch wood) but my mum and all four of her brothers suffered from them in their fifties.

Taz x

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 11:19:27 AM »

Hi Rivadan - just a quick reply as I said more on the other thread about prog intolerance and vag Utrogestan.
Just started taking 200 mg Utrogestan vaginally 12 days per 2 months (experimental cycle) and have two more nights to go. So far so good....
I will also update the long cycle thread too when I see what happens after the weekend.
Hurdity x

Rivadan

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 09:32:10 PM »

Hi - thanks for the info and glad it seems to have been a positive experience so far.

Having been bleed free for over 12 months now, the prospect of having a bleed which could potentially be quite heavy is rather depressing.

I'm now at the stage of thinking I really don't want to go back onto a sequi regime, so I'm hoping the utrogestan may be a possible for using as a conti.

Bette

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 11:41:36 PM »

Hi Rivadan
I presume that you've seen the doseage of Utrogestan which is suggested in the Green Menu for a conti regime?
100mg at bedtime from day 1 to 25 of each 28 day cycle
Bette x

Rivadan

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 05:27:08 PM »

Yes, for some reason it doesn't seem to be prescribed very often. I didn't have any choice though as they only seem to do that or MPA as separate progs. I went to a largish Boots to get the prescription and they'd never heard of it and had to order it in.

I did see that utro can be used as a conti, but the issue is whether I can tolerate it as that's been the issue with the other types of prog.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 05:29:49 PM by Rivadan »

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 02:43:16 PM »

I've just has a look at the product details for Utrogestan - because I was wondering why it is not completely continuous ie 100 mg for 25 days out of 28 days cycle, and this is what it says:

"Alternatively 100 mg can be given at bedtime from day 1 to day 25 of each therapeutic cycle, withdrawal bleeding being less with this treatment schedule."

So it is not quite a conti - in that there might be a small bleed, and presumably also there may be some symptoms on withdrawal - for those who are negatively affected. Maybe as the dose is low this might not be as severe as with 200 mg?

The other interesting point was that studies showed quite large individual variations in plasma progesterone levels after taking it orally - but that the individual responses stayed the same over several months, "indicating predictable responses to the drug". ie if you absorb a lot of it and reach a high concentration then you will most likely continue to do so each month. Presumably that is one of the reasons why some women find it works for them and others have bad side effects - maybe levels are too high. Again a reason for being able to prescribe the right amount for each individual!!

http://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/19895/SPC/Utrogestan%20100mg%20Capsules

It also means that for those who still have heavy bleeds on sequi HRT this might be a good compromise - because the more or less continuous prog prevents the womb lining building up so much - but what does build up is still shed.

Hope that makes sense? I am thinking aloud with all this and still trying to work it out.... and as you say jaycee I wouldn't have even thought about it had it not been for Candy's earlier posts.

Hurdity x  :)

Rivadan

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 09:21:35 AM »

Hi - I've just started the Utrogestan 200 - have taken 2 so far. I must admit I'm feeling pretty spaced out - my head's all over the place and I slept very heavily last night - I don't think I actually moved for 7 hours!

Sitting here thinking about all the things I've got to get done in the next 14 days, I hope this will improve or I'm going to end up with one huge stress headache.

I noticed in another thread that one of our ladies has been prescribed Utro quarterly. That's sounding a lot more attractive already!

coffee mate

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011, 09:34:51 AM »

Thanks for posting the link Hurdity.  Very informative. It answered all my queries and concerns.  :)

CACEY

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 10:00:27 AM »

Hi Ladies

Re the utrogestan part of my regime. My doctor prescribed 14 days every three months, and said that quite a few of her meno ladies get on well with this. I did have the same problem with boots not having it in stock, so they have ordered it for me. I am due to start taking these in January and will keep you posted. I was quite suprised when my dr told me that some ladies do not take any progestrone, just estrogen, and then have yearly scans of their wombs.... But she said she would not advise this, I think I would be too scared to try that regime. So am hoping that the utrogestan works.

I am a bit confused re the provera as I had the deprovera injection for many years for contraception and never had any problems, yet now I am going through peri my body can not tolerate it... So weird all this meno journey.................

Cacey x

coffee mate

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 10:10:02 AM »

Morning Cacey. Thanks for updating us.
How interesting that some women take no progesterone at all, only estrogen - like you I would be too scared to try this, but admire those that do.

I'm all for quality, and not quantity of life, but I'm afraid no progesterone at all would be a step too far for me.   :-\ 

cm xx
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14