Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: New research on HRT and breast cancer  (Read 38668 times)

Mojo61

New research on HRT and breast cancer
« on: August 23, 2016, 05:36:15 AM »

I've just seen a report on BBC breakfast regarding new research which shows that women taking HRT run triple the risk of developing breast cancer, and that previous statistics were greatly underestimated! Anyone know anything about this?

--
Edit by Emma
This is on our news page
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/newsitem.php?recordID=173/Effect-of-combined-HRT-on-breast-cancer-risk-likely-to-have-been-underestimated-new-study-finds
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 12:19:17 PM by Emma »

Annidav

Re: New research on HRT and breast cancer
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 05:40:33 AM »

I have just seen this too ...

Mojo61

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 05:43:35 AM »

I'm not sure if links are permitted on the forum so please remove if this is the case. This from The Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/08/22/hrt-triples-the-risk-of-breast-cancer-longest-ever-study-shows/

Maryjane

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 06:22:39 AM »

My vaginal atrophy was so bad that I require local and full HRT , and quite frankly I don't think I would be here if HRT is taken from me because of reports like this.

Three times the risk , you still need to realise the amount in percentages though.

I no three ladies with BC , one extremely aggressive NONE of them have ever been on HRT.

I have considered a hyster to get rid of the progesterone part, but that comes along with potential problems later also with a vaginal vault prolapse.

We are damned if we do and damned if we don't. 😔

Sunnydays

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 06:22:53 AM »

Just seen this too. Yet another worry for combined continuous  hrt use. Is there anything out there about risks with sequential regime does anyone know?

Maryjane

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 06:44:37 AM »

It's why some of us are only on a 100mg of utrogestin 7 days a month to lessen the BC risk . I believe it's the progesterone that is the issue with HRT ?

Babsm67

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 06:55:53 AM »

Thanks for posting the link, Mojo61 - I felt very dismayed when I heard this on the news a short time ago as I am off to the GP this morning to see about being prescribed HRT.  The symptoms have had a huge impact on my life & I cannot face feeling like this for possibly years on end.  Is it better, I wonder, not to have combined tablets but to have separate oestrogen and progesterone so that the progesterone element can be tweaked?  I had read good reports about Femoston but now I am not sure what to do.   :-\

flutterby

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 07:20:25 AM »

Just when I had settled on combination of Everol 25 and daily 100mg of Utrogestan after 15 years on cyclic HRT, this comes up. Need to think logically, I have enough health worries this year.

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 07:34:03 AM »

As always we don't know the full details of this study which has not yet been published. A press release (with probably more information than reported in the press) will have been sent to the press – but the abstract of the paper will give us more details.

The Guardian gives a little more information:
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/aug/23/combined-hrt-increases-breast-cancer-risk-nearly-300

The details of the study are not clear at this point.

When they talk about combined oestrogen and progestogen – do they mean continuous combined only or all forms of HRT in which a progestogen is used?

Also how do these results vary according to where the woman is in menopause and her age?  This is absolutely crucial.

We need to know what sort of “pills” were used for this study – is this across the board ie all types? What about transdermal HRT?  How do the results vary for different progestogens and progesterone?   I doubt there are sufficient data to assess the latter). Without this information the results are meaningless – since other studies have shown no increase in breast cancer for those using progesterone vs  some of the synthetic progestogens (don't have the studies to hand), and that progesterone (Utrogestan) is thought to be "breast friendly".

Crucially – this is a study of association and correlation – as far as I can gather what is known as a “longitudinal study” where women are followed over time. This is very different from a placebo controlled trial which sets out to look at cause and effect - in which some women are treated and others not.

For example one could argue that certain other factors (background, lifestyle – alcohol, weight, smoking etc) could make some women's menopausal symptoms worse and drive them to seek  help from their doctor for HRT, and it could be these factors which account for the differences in risk observed in the study and might lead to greater breast cancer. I'm not saying this is the case but you can't conclude causality from non-experimental data.

I expect the British Menopause Society will release a statement in response to this and it will appear on this website in “News”. I see that Dr Currie has already made a statement (in the press) and mentions lifestyle factors, and there is a link to another study and Guardian article ( haven't read this – too early, going out!) https://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jan/08/higher-breast-cancer-white-women-alcohol-breastfeeding-birth-rate.

The 7 day progesterone treatment is not to prevent breast cancer but for progesterone intolerant women. There has to be a balance between preventing endometrial and breast cancer. If utrogestan is breast friendly then no need maybe for the 7 days anyway?

Mojo61 - it is absolutely OK to post links in fact we are encouraged to do so to substantiate any claims made. We can link to anything except websites where you buy something including some of the many (mainly US based) menopause doctors who also sell vitamins and creams. the rule is designed to stop people from companies coming on here promoting their menopausal products really.

Hurdity x

Maryjane

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 07:46:58 AM »

Thanks Hurdity 😊 a great response as always .

Just feels like GPs want any excuse to not give HRT and  His sort of thing fuels there fire.😡

babyjane

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 08:50:55 AM »

I saw the report on the breakfast news.  I won't comment as I don't use HRT myself but I did think the info given out was rather sketchy but could worry a lot of HRT ladies.  It did not explain much but just ended with 'see your GP if you are worried'.  The surgery phones might be red hot this morning.

flutterby

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 09:17:30 AM »

Thanks Hurdity, as ever logical and informative. I must admit with the million woman survey results I felt they did not take into account the variables you have mentioned in your post. Interested to hear that Utrogestan is 'breast friendly'. Flutterby x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 09:22:06 AM »

Quality of Life, Girls, Quality of Life  ::).  I had breast disease 10 years after a 3 month course of HRT which I stopped as it didn't work.  Any connection, maybe? but it didn't bother me then and hasn't since.

That bus might be along way B4 any cancer cells get out and about ;-). 

Tinkerbell

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2016, 09:24:25 AM »

Another one with severe VA that needs topical and systemic HRT to be able to live a life where I can sleep, walk, sit down etc.
I shall continue taking it all.

babyjane

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 09:50:21 AM »

I don't like their scaremongering, CLKd is right about the bus.  A relative of ours has a life changing hereditary disease in the family and does not yet know if they have been affected but will have tests at a later date.  Other realtives in the same bloodline have had tests and are clear.  there is nothing to say that they won't contract some other equally devastating illness in the course of their life, or die prematurely in an accident before one of them who does inherit the disease.  Life is so random and CLKD is also correct in her 'quality of life' philosophy.  I agree and my decision not to use HRT was never based on the scare stories about breast cancer.

A cousin used HRT and got BC; a friend got BC and didn't use it.  It is not set in stone.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10