Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Can HRT cause VA/bladder problems to get worse??  (Read 7020 times)

saffy123

Can HRT cause VA/bladder problems to get worse??
« on: May 20, 2016, 07:26:25 PM »

Hi, just wondering if anyone could let me know if they experienced any increase in symptoms re VA/bladder problems when they first started using HRT?? Did it improve over time??
I have read a few articles that suggest that some HRT (Tabs/patches) can worsen VA in some women. As my main symptoms are VA/bladder related I would really appreciate any experiences.
I appreciate that vaginal options are available, but for me they cause a lot of irritation (although I may consider an Estring at some point) not tried that yet.
Thank you so much in advance for taking the time to reply  :) xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Can HRT cause VA/bladder problems to get worse??
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 07:27:50 PM »

Sometimes it is the coating or fillers that patients react to.  How 'bad' was the irritation?  I have Ovestin1mg which gives a return of symptoms the day after use  ::) but generally, it has got rid of the razor blades 'up there'!

saffy123

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 07:53:24 PM »

Hi, yes I am able to use a little ovestin, but my bladder problems are so bad I know I need something stronger. I am thinking about going on systemic HRT (have anxiety also), in the hope it would have a more positive impact on my bladder, however I have read a couple of articles that suggest that systemic HRT may increase VA. So now I really don't know what to think?? xx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 09:29:17 PM »

saffy123 - I don't know where you found articles about HRT causing VA and bladder issues to be worse!!!??? How strange!
Progesterone can aggravate the bladder if used vaginally and it is common to need to pee more often during the progesterone phase, however, oestrogen should actually improve the vaginal and bladder areas whether used locally and/or systemically. If you are having VA and bladder problems and have only recently started HRT then I'm afraid it will take 3-6 months for the oestrogen to work it's magic.
I have found the “be kind to your lady bits” very important  - never using scented soaps etc. regular use of vaginal moisturisers e.g. Sylk, Multi Gyn Actigel, Replens etc. Avoid caffein, acidic drinks, spicy food etc. but drink plenty of water.  It tends to be a combination of things that will eventually improve and maintain the health of our nether regions. The Estring is worth trying but do use some Multi gyn Actigel alongside. Have a browse around some of the threads about VA on this site - there are lots with some good posts.
I do hope you find relief.  DG xxx

warwick01

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 02:40:23 AM »

Changing from oestrogel to Livial has caused all sorts of bladder & VA problems for me over the last 2 weeks. In the process of getting it sorted

Wx

saffy123

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 10:27:57 AM »

Thank you for your thoughts. I'm guessing the progesterone phase in HRT could be that which causes bladder problems, esp if the bladder is weak/sore already xx

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 03:49:34 PM »

What options have you tried and for how long?  Sometimes a lady requires KY Jelly up there first, to ease an applicator/pessary of VA treatments.  The treatments need to be as high up as is possible to 'coat' the whole vaginal wall. 

saffy123

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 04:14:13 PM »

Thank you CLKD, all of the vaginal hrt irritate/hurt me. But I am persevering with ovestin. I am using the applicator now to get as high up as possible (only able to manage a small amount in applicator) because my frequency goes mad and it burns a lot.
Someone suggested I use it with the 'Yes' as well so I'm trying that also.

I have heard from one person saying that systemic HRT caused worst bladder probs, has anyone else found that?? xx

saffy123

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 05:24:12 PM »

That's positive, if anyone had heard much, it would be the users of this site - so I'm feeling hopeful.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 05:30:10 PM »

saffy123 - Have a look at the thread I started on MM - this was way back when I first started visiting and posting on this site.  Since then I have gone back to using local oestrogen (Vagifem) regularly and systemic HRT alongside.
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,22886.0.html

One does need to experiment to find what works for you but, as I said before, it takes time to get better and regular maintenance to keep the horribly burning away. HRT of any kind will be one of the best ways of helping the bladder issues.  I still think you may have some infection going on - so do get the urine tested.
DG x

saffy123

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 08:19:28 PM »

Thank you dancinggirl. I will look at that thread. I have had urine checked numerous times for infection - there has never been any found. Unfortunately I did have lots of antibiotics in the beginning, Doctors kept fobbing me off with them as they didn't know what else to give me.
Since then I have been under a urologist who has given me 6 bladder instillation to try and calm the bladder and a urethral dilation as he said my urethra was very tight (apparently normally only seen in post menopausal women) xx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 10:04:30 PM »

Oh saffy123 - another urologist who isn't up to speed :bang: 
When I saw the urologist for the same problem you are having, he told me to keep using the Vagifem - it can take 3-6 months for it to do it's magic, even if it irritates to begin with. I'm afraid I did resort to using systemic HRT as well as local oestrogen to really get things better. DG x

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2016, 03:33:40 PM »

Is the irritation becoming 'worse' or do you resist using the product because the area feels different?  For me irritation would be when I was being dragged off the ceiling ……. any irritation was preferable to the 'razor blade' effect up there  >:(  ::).

Suzi Q wrote a comprehensive thread here, DG's thread is informative and 'my bladder etc.' thread is worth a look through
( :neutral: ) apparently  ;). You may well find answers to queries in those threads.  Use the search button …….

saffy123

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2016, 05:10:25 PM »

Thank you CLKD. Yes when I say irritation, I mean it feels like a red hot poker being stuck up there - feels like the skin is being burned away. This then gives me a constant urge to wee. But I do hear you all, and maybe no pain no gain. I am determined to persevere with it. I have reduced the dose, but will gradually increase.

Working my way through lots of suggested threads, thank you xx

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2016, 09:03:13 PM »

Maybe insert LIVE yoghurt up there on the end of a tampon ……. cool and soothing  ;)