Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: GP offered testosterone injection  (Read 4966 times)

Mommarv

Re: GP offered testosterone injection
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 02:42:00 PM »

Lol are the young men safe?

Haha well they are from me!!!! ........ For now anyway 😜😜😜

Hurdity

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2016, 04:55:43 PM »

Hi Mommarv

I didn't know testosterone was offered by injection at all? There are implants that are sometimes given - most usually to women who have had hysterectomy with ovary removal and whose T level will be negligible, and I think Studd offers them (amongsy others). Testosterone supplementation is not usually given on its own either - it would be given as part of HRT ie supplemental to oestrogen/progesterone - and the NICE guidelines also imply this.

Livial is not like other HRT as you will see from this site : "gonadomimetic synthetic preparation with weak estrogenic, progestogenic & androgenic properties". This is what it says in the product info:

"Following oral administration, tibolone is rapidly metabolised into three compounds, which all contribute to the pharmacodynamic profile of Livial. Two of the metabolites (3α-OH-tibolone and 3β-OH-tibolone) have oestrogenic-like activities, whereas the third metabolite (Δ4-isomer of tibolone) has progestogenic and androgenic-like activities.
Livial substitutes for the loss of oestrogen production in postmenopausal women and alleviates menopausal symptoms. Livial prevents bone loss following menopause or ovariectomy."

http://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/8552

I don't think it would be a good idea to have it if you are not post-menopausal due to possible irregular bleeding and possible endometrial thickening - but presumably your doc will check you regularly?

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2016, 06:07:05 PM »

Forgive me for being picky but we aren't in Public School are we: shouldn't we give Consultants their correct titles  :-\.  I would object to being called by my surname ………

Mommarv

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2016, 09:19:14 PM »

Hi Mommarv

I didn't know testosterone was offered by injection at all? There are implants that are sometimes given - most usually to women who have had hysterectomy with ovary removal and whose T level will be negligible, and I think Studd offers them (amongsy others). Testosterone supplementation is not usually given on its own either - it would be given as part of HRT ie supplemental to oestrogen/progesterone - and the NICE guidelines also imply this.

Hurdity x

Perhaps I got it wrong??? It was definitely an injection as I distinctly remember the practice nurse saying that's what GP would probably offer me, as if it was regular occurrence and when I saw GP she said she could do it there and then!?!?   If I have got it wrong and GP didnt say testosterone what could it have been that would be given by injection?!?!?  How strange. 🤔🤔🤔

Mommarv

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2016, 09:26:02 PM »

I don't think it would be a good idea to have it if you are not post-menopausal due to possible irregular bleeding and possible endometrial thickening - but presumably your doc will check you regularly?

Hurdity x

Thanks hurdity. Please do you know what I should be looking out for that would be a worrying sign and what the Doc should be doing in way of regular checks? Mommarv X

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2016, 10:59:48 PM »

Why don't you ring your GP Surgery and ask what was offered  :-\.  It should be in your records or the GP should be able to ring you at home and discuss ……….

Hurdity

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2016, 08:24:17 AM »

Forgive me for being picky but we aren't in Public School are we: shouldn't we give Consultants their correct titles  :-\.  I would object to being called by my surname ………

Whaaat? Good grief CLKD - very very picky and adds nothing relevant to the conversation! "Forgive me" - but you did anyway. :-\ . I don't appreciate your telling me what and how I should write my posts thank-you! And what has public school got to do with it - not sure what you are implying there but to me it doesn't sound very complimentary.

For your information Mr/Prof John Studd has/had multiple roles for which different titles would apply. As a medical Dr he would have gone by Dr Studd but as an NHS consultant would be known as Mr Studd. If he practiced solely privately I'm not sure the Mr would still apply so possibly would have to revert to Dr? He is also a distinguished research academic and clearly holds or has held a Chair at a university or medical research establishment - either honorary or actual - which allows him to go by the title Professor. Not sure what happens when you retire from research - whether you can still go by that title? Definitely the title "Dr" lasts for ever. Oh and by the way also as an academic  it is correct practice to refer to researchers and their work by their surnames - as in: Studd found that progesterone blah blah blah  etc.  You say picky - well you've got detail!

Some of us don't have the time nor inclination to read and comment on every post, so get to the nitty gritty quickly  - sometimes using abbreviations and short-cuts - before rushing out to work as I was yesterday. And why pick on me - others also use this too?!!!

So please CLKD - just NO!!!!

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2016, 08:30:31 AM »

Perhaps I got it wrong??? It was definitely an injection as I distinctly remember the practice nurse saying that's what GP would probably offer me, as if it was regular occurrence and when I saw GP she said she could do it there and then!?!?   If I have got it wrong and GP didnt say testosterone what could it have been that would be given by injection?!?!?  How strange. 🤔🤔🤔

Hi there mommarv.  I'm not saying you've got it wrong - just that I haven't heard of T injections for women nor recall their being discussed on here. Now that I have got some time I've had a quick look and seems they are used for men, so possibly also off licence for women - but as I said before gel or implants are the usual method. However I would be interested to hear about their use in women?

Re what you should look out for with Livial - I would request a regular scan due to potential endometrial thickening. I don't know how it works if you are not post-menopausal though ie I don't know if your cycle would break through and allow bleeding if you ovulate?  if you look at the product info on the link I gave then then this gives all the info.

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2016, 03:42:28 PM »

Why don't you ring your GP Mommarv and ask  :-\.  It isn't easy to remember the names of the various medications - when you find out let us know  ???
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 06:00:28 PM by CLKD »
Pages: 1 [2]