Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: PRESCRIBED LIVIAL: DO I TAKE IT OR DO I SEARCH FOR NATURAL ALTERNATIVES?  (Read 3267 times)

Daisylady

Hi everyone
I am desperate to alleviate my menopausal symptoms which are many, trust me!  My brain has turned to mush, I have aches in places I didn't know I had, and apart from other issues my libido has disappeared without trace!  This really bothers me as I have a relatively new partner ( 3 yrs) and I don't want it to be the cause of a split.  I literally have no desire or feelings.  I feel numb psychologically & physically.  :'(
Does anyone out there have any positive experiences of Livial or any alternative for menopausal symptoms especially zero libido?

Taz2

Hi Daisylady - I would say try the Livial - what have you got to lose? You sound as if you are at rock bottom re your meno symptoms and this might just do the trick!

Taz x  :hug:

Freckles

There are far more knowledgeable posters on here re different HRT regimes and meds than me on this forum.
I have just started using the Estrogel/Utrogestan regime via a private consultation with Prof Studd, albeit only in the last two weeks and already feel better than I have done for months/years, re low mood, anxiety, 'brain fog', lack of libido, etc. 
I know this regime can also be prescribed on the NHS, and from my reading of all the formal research, it seems that low oestrogen  levels  (and co-occurring low testosterone levels in women) causes hot flushes, sweats, low mood, anxiety, lack of libido, low bone density (and therefore joint/muscle pains) recurrent 'cystitis', painful intercourse, etc. 
No knowledge at all about Livial but I'd suggest other more informed posters on here will no doubt ask if you have had your hormone levels checked recently, what they were, and your prescription level of Livial.
But I'm sure you'll get some good advice! 

Mary G

Welcome to MM!

If you have managed to get hold of some Livial (Tibolone) I would definitely try it and see how well it works.  I have heard Livial is good for libido and it is a bleed free regime which is great so if you can (a) tolerate it and (b) it relieves your symptoms, stick with it. 

Like Freckles, I am on the Oestrogen/Utrogestan/testosterone regime which works extremely well and I would recommend it if the Livial doesn't work out.

My advice is to get cracking on the Livial immediately and don't waste time thinking about alternatives because hormones are the only way to relieve menopause symptoms.  It is not just about the short term and your immediate symptoms either, HRT will protect you from the endless list of ailments caused by oestrogen deprivation in later life. 

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Kathleen

Hello Daisylady and welcome to the forum.

I haven't used your HRT but I would be interested in knowing how you get on with it.

My last period was over five years ago and my libido also left town at the same time. That was difficult but I find the lack of feeling  and desire that you describe also distressing. This is going to sound odd but thank you for reminding me that hormones are to blame for that as well!

I wish you well with your regime. Take care and keep posting.

K.

Daisylady

Hi Ladies
Thank you so much for your replies.  I think you are right that I should give it a try and then obviously if it doesn't work, I can look into other forms of HRT as some of you have done.
@ Mary G  you made me laugh about wasting time!  I was prescribed this stuff in Jan 2015 lol!  they are still in my drawer!
xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

:-\ ………. what have you tried in the mean time?  Sometimes alternatives can ease symptoms until one's own hormones overtake any benefits.

Remember: 'natural' is mis-used - it tends to imply that 'natural' is good for us or will alleviate symptoms but digitalis is 'natural'  ;)

Mary G

Daisylady, I'm glad I made you laugh even though I wasn't trying to be pithy!

When people talk about going through the menopause naturally they mean without using HRT.  The problem is that many women don't have bothersome menopause symptoms and think they have "sailed through it" and go away with it without the need for HRT.  I think this gives them a false sense of security because so many women go on to develop the long list of nasties that are caused by years of oestrogen deprivation - my mother is a case in point.  I would take HRT for life even if I didn't have to for my migraines.

Will you be starting the Livial today?

Hurdity

Go for it Daisylady - as far as I know there are no "natural" alternatives that will restore libido!

Like Mary G I use testosterone (along with oestrogen and progesterone) and I am almost 10 years older - but it has restored my response (if not my libido) ie I enjoy it again  ::) rather than total lack of interest.

Hurdity x  ;)