Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Oral Thrush?  (Read 6387 times)

millergirl

Oral Thrush?
« on: March 19, 2016, 08:45:23 PM »

Hi this is my first time on this site and having an anxiety attack!  I have a white patch on my tongue and have had this for a couple of days and tonight after cleaning my teeth my tongue has developed a red patch, is this oral thrush?  I am going to the dentist next week so he should be able to ally my fears.  It will take 2 weeks for an appointment at the doctors.  Any thoughts!

Taz2

Re: Oral Thrush?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 08:56:19 PM »

It sounds like it Millergirl. http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Oral-thrush---adults/Pages/Introduction.aspx It can get really uncomfortable. Have you got a pharmacy near you? There may be something you can have in the  meantime.  Do you know what might have caused it?

Taz x  :welcomemm:

millergirl

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 09:03:23 PM »

Hi Taz not sure what has caused it, I had a big mouth ulcer on the roof of my mouth which freaked me out as I hadn't had one there before, a couple of weeks later I had a smaller one on the roof of my mouth and a couple of weeks after that the white tongue started.  Of course freaked out and did the worst thing I could do which was google it!  I haven't slept since, convinced myself I have my final ticket, then yesterday the white tongue didn't seem to look too bad, so I thought ok going to be fine after all, just about got my breathing under control and the jitters in my stomach controlled then cleaned my teeth tonight and saw the red part on my tongue.  As you can imagine the panicking is now taking over.  I do have a pharmacy nearby so maybe will call in tomorrow and see what he says.  Thank you for your reply it certainly does help talking it over with you guys rather than sitting here writing my last will and testament!!!!!

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 09:28:33 PM »

We all understand how you are feeling!

I think the main symptom of oral thrush is that the white patches can be wiped away leaving a red patch underneath. Also, there seems to be a three week time period - anything that hasn't healed within that time needs to be investigated.

Taz x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 10:11:54 PM »

Millergirl - seeing a dentist is your best option - they are the experts on anything to do with our mouths so he/she will be able to advice you.  I would get an appointment as soon as you can.  Though in the mean time, as has been suggested, you could talk to a pharmacist.  Keep us posted.  Dg x

Kate50

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 06:06:43 AM »

Sounds like it my mum had a bout a couple years ago she had been on a few different meds which caused it to happen.  Have you been on anything recently?

Dyan

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 04:56:57 PM »

Millergirl do you take inhalers?
I ask because I had oral thrush through not rinsing my mouth out after using my asthma inhaler.
Just a thought.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 08:46:28 PM »

Does it itch?  Babies get oral thrush regularly.  Can't remember why though  ::)

Your dentist will give advice.  Mouth/throat ulcers can be a sign that the body is lacking probably zinc?  I had loads when stressed.  I have one on the roof of my mouth because my tongue is constantly trying to scratch the back of my nose  >:(.

Let us know!  Bonjela cures mouth ulcers!

millergirl

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 03:36:15 PM »

Hi Dyan

Went to the dentist and yes I do use an inhaler and like yourself never rinsed my mouth.  The dentist reassured me that this was probably the cause of my fungal infection and I am pleased to say it has now cleared up after all this time.  I did end up with a cracked tongue through it but the dentist said that this was not anything to worry about.

Thank you to everybody that replied you really do put my mind at ease.  It does seem to be running wild at the moment.
x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 04:27:22 PM »

A side effect of 'the change'  ::).  Is the tongue sore?  Bonjela can ease symptoms of ulcers.

Dyan

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 03:30:19 PM »

Oops just started a new thread on this.

Firstly, Millergirl, great that you got sorted out.

My thrush just doesn't want to go. I rinse after my inhalers and I've been taking anti fungal from the doctor, 2 different lots.it appears to be going and then it comes back.
I now have white spots on the inside of my cheek as well as on my tongue and it feels like I have burnt my mouth on a hot drink.
I'm beginning to worry now.......... :-\ ::)

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 08:39:32 PM »

Speak to a Pharmacist?