Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Bleeding after menopause.  (Read 3860 times)

Amanda52

Bleeding after menopause.
« on: August 24, 2015, 02:24:54 PM »

Hi All
First time posting on here, hope I've got it right. I shall dive straight in and tell you of my recent/current experience.
Been going through the menopause for the last ?? years. Been having hot flushes for about 4 years and last time I had a period was two years ago. Had a few other symptoms, not on HRT and was coping fairly well.
Started taking Red Clover and Boots Menoease about six weeks ago and I've gone from being a sceptical non-believer in the power of herbal remedies to their number one fan. It's been marvellous for me, the hot flushes have stopped..I was getting about 20 a day and all through the night as well and I've generally felt really well.
That was until last Monday when everything changed. Started getting really bad period type pains which literally had me pacing the floor in tears through the small hours. After about twelve hours of intense pain I started bleeding...or should I say flooding. I had to change pads about every 20 mins. Saw the GP who has referred me to a one stop gynae clinic within the two week guidelines...been a week so far and haven't heard anything.
The bleeding has now stopped but I'm left with this awful pain which is there all the time and a co-codamol only takes the edge off it. I am extremely fatigued and have no appetite and have occasionally felt nauseous...although that could be because I've hardly eaten anything..which is so not like me !!
I guess I'm asking whether anyone has been through anything similar and what the outcome was ?
I also would be interested to hear of anyone else's thoughts or experience with Red Clover...could this be the culprit for my current predicament ?
I should add at this point that I haven't gone down the HRT route as there is a strong incidence of breast cancer in my family and I was trying to hold off of taking it.
Thank you for reading this.

Cassie

Re: Bleeding after menopause.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 02:50:15 PM »

I also tried the herbal route yrs back and it brought on a bleed, was convinced I was dying with ovarian cancer, went to the gynae had a scan and he advised to stay away from the phytoestrogens as yes they can bring on a bleed.

Amanda52

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 02:55:43 PM »

Hmm....I was beginning to suspect that this might be the culprit Cassie...although I will obviously be having every test I'm offered to rule out the much nastier alternative.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 05:21:37 PM »

Hi Amanda  :welcomemm:

I know that Red Clover shouldn't be taken if you are on anticoagulants due to it's effect on bleeding. I also wonder whether you were going to have a period anyway as lots of us on here have experienced hot flushes/sweats disappearing when a period was imminent even after months without. We have then thought, wrongly, that we had beaten the flushes but it was all due to the fact that our ovaries had kicked in again. It could be that this was why your flushes stopped rather than the Menoease working.  Also, I see that Menoease contains Red Clover so it may not be wise to take extra Red Clover?

Let us know how you get on. You'll find lots of support on here.

Taz x

Amanda52

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 06:23:33 PM »

Thanks for your reply Taz. I had noticed before I'd started on the red clover that the hot flushes seemed to run on a cycle. They would get increasingly worse over several months and then suddenly lessen for a few weeks until they started building in intensity again. That's been going on for about four years. I sort of feel that this recent episode was like a period as I had also had breast tenderness for a couple of weeks before...something which I haven't suffered from for about 3 years.
I just think it's weird that after two years of nothing that I suddenly get one..although, since reading some of the posts on here, I don't think its that uncommon.
The thing that's really bothering me, both in terms of worry and physical pain is the really uncomfortable cramping, heavy, dragging pain that I'm still getting in my pelvic region 2 days after the bleeding has stopped.

mandy43

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 09:47:43 PM »

Hi Amanda

The reason I ended up having a vaginal scan was because I had a period and felt dreadful pain at the bottom of my back and at the front in my left ovary for ages following it.  I was convinced I had something dreadful... nothing at all showed up.  The weird and not so wonderful change!  I hope you get it all sorted to put your mind at ease!!

Amanda52

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 11:25:38 AM »

Thanks for your reply Mandy. I'm glad your scan showed nothing serious. The body and its workings is a marvellous and complex thing. I'm not surprised that sometimes weird things happen to it that don't really have an explanation.