Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

shop
About | Leaflets | Magazine | Books | Multimedia | Questionnaires | Links | Contact | Shop | Twitter | Facebook | Blog

Author Topic: Electric shock /zapping in one hand  (Read 3369 times)

Smokey

Electric shock /zapping in one hand
« on: October 03, 2012, 02:01:09 PM »

Now I've found something else wrong.  When I was tucked up I bed last night and just about dozing off I suddenly got electric shock feelings in my right hand and lower arm, it felt just like static and was quite painful, every time I moved my hand I felt zapped, I could also feel my pulse in the tips of my fingers. It was really scary,of course everything is worse during the night. I couldn't sleep then for worrying, could this be caused by the medication I'm reducing or is it another meno symptom? I know some people have mentioned brain zaps.

I suppose it could be Ms symptom I know there can be quite a lot of them and I guess this could be the start(I really hope not) any ideas or advise welcome. Oh and had a couple of zaps whilst out today too.

CLKD

Re: Electric shock /zapping in one hand
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 02:15:42 PM »

I have zaps across my skull due to medication I take  ::) - maybe you have trapped the nerve at the back of your elbow which could cause similar sensations?
Changes can be scarey, even when we want them!

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 05:41:41 PM »

I've had similar but it was all down to a neck problem. It's amazing how even a small amount of wear and tear in the neck can affect the arms.

Taz x
I joined up all the right dots.. but in the wrong order.. and still ended up with a picture. Oxygen Thief

LilFeather

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 06:40:25 PM »

Yes, the electrical zaps can be from nerve pinching/damage/etc. in the neck, and can also be from carpal tunnel.  There are tests for the carpal tunnel that can be done to find out if that's what it is.  Maybe just a chiropractic adjustment in the neck is all you need.

I've had issues with both my neck and with carpal tunnel.  But, the electrical shock sensation always occurred while I was using my hands and they were tired.  I ended up having the surgery on both wrists.
Is this some kind of a joke?

limpy

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 06:49:17 PM »

Smokey when you say Ms symptom do you mean menopause or multiple sclerosis? I know you have mentioned the latter in the past. Apart from the weird sensations, how are you feeling?

Smokey

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 08:35:28 PM »

Hi Limpy

I do mean Multiple Sclerosis and I feel delicate, I feel not off balance exactly but I can feel movement, bit like swaying, but not dizzy, and I have felt like this since my first attack back in dec 2010' I was in hospital for tests etc but I wasn't treated for ms symptom which was loss of co-ordination on my right side, they thought I'd had a stroke, but MRI showed this was not the case and symptoms went back to normal about 24hrs after admission, I was kept in due to high calcium found in my blood,it was later found that I had a benign turmor on my parathyroid which was operated on in jan of that year. Oh also whilst I was in hospital I had a lumbar punter which revealed that I had the clinical make-up possibly for ms to develop in the furture, but on the other hand I may not.

When I saw my neurologist months later I voiced my concerns about this feeling I had and he said straightaway that is was noting to do with ms but that I had silent migraine, the back of my head also felt very heavy, and I suffered from tension headaches and light sensetivity, he put me on Nortriptlyne, which worked well and now I'm reducing the dose, especially after you mentioned about falling over more when you tried them.

I do feel worse when I'm tired, I was told ms symptoms are worse when tired, but are these ms symptoms or thyroid or menopause or silent migraine, I really don't know.

I would appreciate any advice or opinion you could give me on this.

Thanks Ann

limpy

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 04:10:55 PM »

Hi Ann

Sorry for taking so long to get back, been out today - explain more later

When I first read your post I thought this sounds familiar. Before I was diagnosed I had a spate of peculiar tingling sensations shooting down my left leg while in bed and trying to get to sleep, and yes they sometimes happened during the day as well.
One of the main problems with MS is fatigue, getting really tired. When this happens the other symptoms do get worse, and you just feel wiped out, can't think straight..

The Neurologists I've seen are divided about whether headaches / migraines are linked to MS, some say yes others no.

I think it would be as well to raise these sensations with your GP / Neurologist, then hopefully you will have a better idea of what is going on. The trouble is there aren't a lot of definites in MS, there is a lot of I don't know.  A diagnosis would at least help to explain what is going on.

I think I have mentioned before that exercise really helps lessen the fatigue. To day I went for a walk up a small steep hill, (the reason I didn.t reply earlier) thought I was going to die, but did it and felt so much better for it,  really!

It is worth seeing the medics again, but the thing is, if is MS, it isn't a disaster life goes on.

Please post or pm saying how you get on

Adrienne

Smokey

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 05:04:31 PM »

Thanks Limpy,

I've just started a new thread on nuropathy( I hope ive spelt that right)

Just realised that the Nortriptyline I've been taking may have been masking these symptoms and as I've reduced dose they have just become noticable.

I know exactly what you mean about when your tired you just can't think straight as this is exactly how I feel some days after work, I just want to sit down with a cuppa tea and close my eyes for 10 mins and do nothing and let my system re- boot( just like a computer )

How are you getting on at the moment? I would like to pm you if that's ok, even if it's just for a chat. Are you working at the moment?

Thanks for getting back to me. I was at hospital with my friend for her appointment yesterday and walked up 3 flights of stairs instead of taking the life, god did I feel knackered afterwards,good job we had to wait a while for her appointment!

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 05:51:13 PM »

You really didn't need to begin another simiilar thread  ;) otherwise comments soon get lost on a busy Forum. 
Changes can be scarey, even when we want them!

limpy

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 06:40:57 PM »

Know what you mean CLKD - I have problems looking for things even when I know they are there!  :)

Smokey I am pretty good at the moment but I had an MS spat about a month ago, several falls, one tedious, painful bruising lasting 3 weeks. MS wise better at the moment having got some HRT which appears to be helping. There appears to be some dispute in the MS community as to whether oestrogen has a beneficial effect on MS. All I can say, is it appears to help me.

I don't go out to work at the moment. I was diagnosed in 1995 kept working with lots of support from employers, but the fatigue, not thinking properly, and right hand not working well then led to me taking early retirement in 1999.  Just a different way of life.

Smokey

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 12:09:33 PM »

Limpy,

I've replied to your pm.

Your second one, not sure I got the first? What does patches are you on? Is it 50?

limpy

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 03:04:01 PM »

Smokey,

I am Evorel 50 patches, feeling good on them, but as they are just oestrogen, not sure how long I can stay on them, Seeing Dr on Monday, hopefully, all should be clear then.

Had been feeling a bit concerned about the after effects of yesterdays trek, so far so good. But then again, it's always the day after, the day after , when muscle overwork kicks in. Tomorrow should reveal all.

There wasn't much on the first pm, just wanted to see if it worked!