Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

shop
About | Leaflets | Magazine | Books | Multimedia | Questionnaires | Links | Contact | Shop | Twitter | Facebook | Blog

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: feeling old at 47.  (Read 2244 times)

dolly45

feeling old at 47.
« on: January 24, 2012, 10:22:42 AM »

Morning ladies time for a little moan.My periods stopped when i was 43 and im now 47,at first i felt ok and thought i could sail through the menopause but now im not to sure.For about 6 months now i have been feeling really low,the list goes on and on,head-aches,lack of energy,hot flushes,night sweats,mood swings,forgertfulness,.Depressed and feeling old,i dont want to take HRT,but need something to help me.I have an appoirment with my gp on thursday,but just needed to talk to someone today,i feel like im slipping into a big black hole and i cant get out,thought i would have got over it by now.I used to have so much energy and now i just cant be bothered doing anything. Sorry for the moan xxxxx >:(

cubagirl

Re: feeling old at 47.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 10:34:17 AM »

You moan away, I've done it before now.

The symptoms you describe was me when I had a break from HRT.  I tried various alternatives but was so blooming miserable I was desperate to get back on it again.  Everything just got me down.
If you don't mind me asking, what are your reasons for not wanting to take HRT?
Things can only get better....

dolly45

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 10:43:50 AM »

No reasons for not wanting to take it,just thought i could do it on my own at first.But i am put off  by reading through the posts about  all the different kinds there are and having to try different ones before you find one that works for you. i need a quick fix something that will work straight away xx

cubagirl

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 10:55:17 AM »

That much is true for some people dolly45.  I was originally on premarin, I've had a hysterectomy, but because I have an intolerance to dairy and they had lactose in them, I was switched to oestrogel.  I may well be one of the lucky ones, but I've been fine.

dolly45

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 11:01:15 AM »

Thanks cubgirl for the replys.Hope i get some help from the gp on thursday, ::)

Londongirl

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 11:19:51 AM »

Hey Dolly! 

Same here for me.! 

I have been menopausal since 2008 now!  My periods stopped around 3 years ago, I am now 52. 

At first my symptoms were awful, hot flushes being the main one.  Then a year ago these subsided and are nowhere near as bad as they were however about 6 months ago, also like you, I started to get very depressed, tearful and am basically right now all over the place. 

I try to exercise but this has gone out of the window because I am so exhausted all the time.  I have good days/bad days, then good weeks/bad weeks and one minute I am up, the next down and can't function some days as my head is racing with thoughts and nonsense really, getting uptight over silly things etc etc. 

I have struggled and tried to carry on without HRT, as again like you, we think we can carry on and to me it's like a sign of failure I think, that I can't cope without meds because my mum, aunt and older sister never took HRT, then I think I am in some way a failure. 

However, today have finally picked up a prescription for Femoston Conti.  I am definitely going to give it a go and am hoping it helps me as I can't take much more of this.  I keep getting colds, am constantly run down and not sleeping well at all. 

This site is so informative and I would advise you to look at the post meno HRT prepaparations and inform yourself before you go to gp on Thursday. 

Good Luck! 

cubagirl

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 11:33:00 AM »

You should never feel like a failure because you need to take HRT or any other prescribed drug.   I've never felt like a failure, just relieved that there was something I could take to make me feel more normal.   ::)  I guess I'm fortunate as I don't have to take too many things to keep this old body going, especially compared to some of the ladies on here. I'm sure my time will come when I will need more.   ;)

Bette

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 12:05:26 PM »

I've never felt like a failure, just relieved that there was something I could take to make me feel more normal.
Me too - I just bless the day that I started it!  :) I felt better on my 1st one but changed to tablets as the patches gave me skin irritation. Changed to tabs and felt great. Had to change type as that one was discontinued but again feel great.
Not everyone struggles to find one which suits them and believe me, it's worth it to feel well again!  ;)
I think that it's the nature of this type of forum that ladies come here when they need help so it's easy to get a negative view of things. There are many who found the right HRT 1st time, felt well quickly and moved on. Sadly, we don't always get to hear the success stories but there are many, I'm sure.  :)
Bette x
If you want a thing done well, get a couple of old broads to do it. Bette Davis.

dolly45

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 01:58:50 PM »

thanks for the advice bette,how long was it untill you started to feel better on the tablets.xx

Yebony

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 02:14:45 PM »

Hi dolly45,

I just wanted to give you some support, as I was just like you up until early December of last year.  Anxiety/tearfulness were my worst symptoms, I was very low and anxious about anything.  Finally went to the doctor and she put me on Premarin (as I have had a hysterectomy) and low dose Amitriptyline at night as the hot sweats were coming every hour along with feelings of dread.

I am six weeks into it and I feel so much better, still have low grade palpitations, anxiety and a few sweats in the mornings, but much more manageable.  From being unable to go to the shops at the start I am now joining new clubs etc.

Don't beat yourself up for being a 'failure'.  We are all different - it's just like some have red hair and others fair and brown.  It is meno working her magic!

Take care and be kind to yourself.  Tx

Danismum

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 02:38:23 PM »

I feel like an 80 yr old women and I'm only 38

paisley

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 03:11:21 PM »

Hi I don't think you are a failure. If you had diabetes you would expect to get insulin. I think that there is still such a stigma attached to emotional problems. If you have a broken leg people have sympathy and can see it but cos it is in the head people can't see it and somehow if it is mental other people think it is catching. If I found something to make me  a lot better I would def take it. I have also realized that doctors do not know everything where the menopause is concerned but some can make you feel even worse about yourself. It is a lack of oestrogen which causes a drop in feel good hormone serotonin and hrt can increase serotonin, it has been proved. Take care xx

Hurdity

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 03:13:35 PM »

Hi dolly45

Most definitely do not feel like a failure - many women stoically sail through the menopause and either have very few symptoms, or cannot take HRT or do not want to.

However menopause is a hormone deficiency! Our bodies are being deprived of oestrogen that keeps us healthy! One of the main reasons to take HRT especially at your age is to replace the oestrogen at least until the average age of the natural menopause - around 50. This is needed to protect your bones from osteoporosis, as well as playing a part in keeping your bladder and ladybits healthy and supported!  Taking it up to 50 doesn't count in terms of the maximum time which used to be recommended for women to be on HRT anyway (5 years) but this seems outdated now anyway. Many women take it for much longer for the same reason.

As your menopause was relatively early I would definitely take it for this reason, if there is nothing to suggest you shouldn't, as well of course to eliminate the horrible symptoms - and why should we put up with what is like an illness for maybe half our life?

Yes you may have to try a few - but if you go armed with knowledge hopefully you can make a good guess at what might suit you.

Do you prefer pills or patches? Have pills upset your digestions in the past? If so try patches? Are you allergic to adhesive? - if so try pills.

Did you suffer from bad pms and headaches before you periods? If so I would avoid HRT containing norethisterone (print off green menu to the left "HRT preparations" to take with you).

Don't be fobbed off with the cheapest eg prempak or premique - as these do disagree with some women and are less natural.

You might prefer to start with the cyclical HRT (look under perimenopause to the left) to see if you felt much better on the oestrogen only 2 weeks.

I use patches and would say I felt much much better within a fortnight - re flushes and sweats. Some other symptoms take a little longer to settle - but you should see a gradual improvement very soon!

Good luck with the doc and hope this GP in your practice is one of the knowledgeable sympathetic ones....

Keep us posted.

Hurdity x  :)

JJ

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 03:27:04 PM »

Hello dolly45 PLEASE dont feel a failure for wanting to find something to help you during menopause. Chat with your GP and find out what the options are for you. I am currently taking an anti depressant which has helped with the anxiety and sleeping problems, not a cure all but its helped. Dont suffer on your own, use this web site and bend your GPs ear. You are not a failure for wanting some help whatever it is you decide is for you. x

grumpy2008

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 03:35:28 PM »

In the short term, have you considered alternative therapies, just to give you a 'lift'? I see a lovely lady who deals with flower remedies (a kind of homeopathy) and I make an appointment only I need the boost, or feel unbalanced in some way (tearful, aching joints etc). It helps me feel more in control.

Of course, I still visit the GP and take medical advice too :).
Pages: [1] 2